1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Isolated a hen today...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mulewagon, Dec 3, 2010.

1. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    When I let everybody out of the coop this morning, one of the hens stayed on the roost while everybody ran to eat. She didn't come down after a while, so I carried her over to the food - she ate but was limping heavily.

So she gets to vacation today in the isolation cage, so she can get enough to eat and drink. It's on the sunny side of the coop, and she's snuggled down in her pile of cedar shavings, napping. She must not feel well, since she isn't fussing about being confined.

I'll leave her in all day, then put her on the roost tonight with the others so she'll stay warm. Then back in the cage tomorrow if she needs it. I really hope it's something uncomplicated that will resolve itself!

The rest were funny - they're convinced the isolated bird has much better feed than they do! They gather around the cage and stick their beaks through the wire, trying to snag a bite. Dopey chickens, it's exactly the same!

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    maybe they miss their friend. [​IMG]

3. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Quote:Hah! I propped open the cage door this morning and went to get her - came back and found one of her buddies had hopped inside to get the goodies. Oh, I know about you, sentimental birdies! [​IMG]

She went right over to the bedding and went to sleep, which made me suspect she can't rest hanging onto the roost. So I covered one end of the cage with plastic, and will just try leaving her in there a few days.

She's standing on one foot a lot. Her feet look normal, and I can't feel a break, and she isn't flinching when I handle her. So hopefully just a strain!

Oh, and thanks to the BYC folks - we were considering using a heat lamp, but I said no, all the experienced folks online say it will de-acclimate them to the cold. So I just fixed things up to hold her body heat. It's great to have access to so many informed opinions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by