Isolated quail making 'frog-like' sounds?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SeptemberQuail, Jan 5, 2013.

1. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    I have this white coturnix quail who is currently isolated due to a head injury. I didn't see what happened but my dad told me one of the other chicks grabbed the white quail by the head and now she has a wound on the back of her head. They were fighting over a container full of soil to bathe in. It's been a week or two now ever since the incident, but she's healing well. We are unsure of her gender as vent sexing isn't helping, and she hasn't crowed, nor laid an egg. But I'm presuming it's a she for now.

She's a little more frisky ever since this incident, as it's harder to try and pick her up. I once took her and whilst holding her, held her near the side of the quails enclosure so she could see her hatch-mates, but she made a frantic 'cooing' noise and tried to escape from my hands. As soon as I moved her away, she calmed down. One of the males was following her around and trailing his beak along the cage (but I doubt he was the attacker, they were isolated together before for a week with no harm).

Yeah, so she's scared of them now, but a little calmer around my hand as she knows that my hand provides her with yummy treats (as do all the quail know).
    I don't recall when this started happening, but now she makes this kind of repetitive frog noise like, "ne-deep, ne-deep, ne-deep" (etc.) but in a more 'bird-like' way every time one of the males crows. Other time's she does it at random.

I can try and provide a video if necessary, but I'm wondering if anyone knows why this behavior is happening. . .
    Thanks.

2. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    It sounds like she may want to breed. Look at their throats. The males have a brown color.

3. SeptemberQuail

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    She's completely white, so I can't feather sex her. Vent sexing, well, it's not as swollen as the males I have in the pen, but it's a little pink. If she's a female, I cannot let her mate. Her wound is exactly where a male would pull on.
    I tried putting in one of my friendliest quail females in with her, she again, made that cooing noise and the other quail felt threatened.
    Then I tried putting in a male, same thing happened.

Thanks for the reply though.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  4. SeptemberQuail

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    Found an egg in her little isolation area, she's a female!
    I put a male in their and they both freaked out...

5. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    My quail did that before they got their breeding colours (feathers).

One of my whites died, from head injury also, but i wasn't home at the time.

Once they got their breeding colours they made different sounds. (Male mating call, female low coo)

Also, my males mate too much and are pulling feathers off head (alot of em) anyway to lower agressiveness.

I had 1 male per 4 female. Now, since my white female died it's 2 male per 7 female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by