isolating breeding pair

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by henjoy, Oct 7, 2007.

1. henjoy

henjoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    HI, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but, how long should a breeding pair be separated from the rest of the flock to make sure the eggs are from that pair? I have a couple of breeds ranging together and want to make sure when I incubate eggs, that I know who the parents are. Thanks!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

How long are they fertile after a breeding? I've heard anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks. I've never worried about it much over the years, but now I've got some that I'd like to get eggs from and know who the daddy is.

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    As always with living things, there can be variance, but the general rule is 21 days. If it was me, I wouldn't break it.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

ok...thanks. Now I guess I need to get going on a rooster enclosure....I'm sure they'll be thrilled about that!!

5. henjoy

henjoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    Thanks so much for the information. I thought 3 weeks was about right, but wasn't sure.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, I usually figure three weeks to clear and 3 weeks to remain fertile.

7. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    If you are seperating the hen for that long, would there be reintroduction problems when you were done.. ah.. breeding her?

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Hmm, I suppose you could be right. I've heard of that. What if the breeding "love nest" was nearby the others so they wouldnt lose touch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by