1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

isolating coturnix colors

Discussion in 'Quail' started by syble, Jun 5, 2011.

1. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    i am getting some hatching eggs next week of mixed color coturnix, what is my best way to go about isolating colors so that in the future they will breed true? as i understand it silver will never breed true as it is lethal if there are 2 copies of the gene? but that being said, if i understand it, you breed it with brown and it is dominant so will either pop up as silver or pure brown (not brown carriers of silver right?).
    Thanks
    sib

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:hmmmmm...are you telling us that you will be having silvers ? In the U.S.? hmmmmmm...

when they hatch all you can do is set them up in groups of like colors and work outward from there.There's different colors that have lethal genes.some whites and some golds have them too and i don't know which else...if you do a search on the internet you can get alot of info on lethal genetics in coturnix....
    it also wouldn't be a bad idea for you to go to Stellargamebird.com and read the info that Quaillady has there on her site.

3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    What mhwc56 is trying to say is WE NEED SILVER EGGS!!! It appears your from michigan, that would be the right side of the boarder to ship "close friends" like us some silver eggs. [​IMG] Bill

4. syble

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    are they not available here? I haven't seen the birds, maybe they are not silvers?

5. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I have not heard of silvers on this side of Canada. If thats what you have, the eggs would fetch a premium price. Bill

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Silver coturnix do not exist in the U.S. to my knowledge, so I can't help you there. But in order to isolate certain colors you'll want to put birds of the same phenotype in the same pen. You can put goldens together but just remember that you will have a percentage of eggs that don't develop/die in the shell due to a lethal gold gene. Otherwise, you can put your browns and golds together but that would make it more difficult to isolate colors.

If I were you, I'd try to use as few females as possible in your pens (think pairs or trios if they don't kill each other) and mark your eggs well. That way, if an oddball chick hatches (like tibetan from your browns or white from your golds) you will have an easier time figuring out the identity of the bird(s) carrying those genes.

7. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Silver coturnix do not exist in the U.S. to my knowledge, so I can't help you there. But in order to isolate certain colors you'll want to put birds of the same phenotype in the same pen. You can put goldens together but just remember that you will have a percentage of eggs that don't develop/die in the shell due to a lethal gold gene. Otherwise, you can put your browns and golds together but that would make it more difficult to isolate colors.

If I were you, I'd try to use as few females as possible in your pens (think pairs or trios if they don't kill each other) and mark your eggs well. That way, if an oddball chick hatches (like tibetan from your browns or white from your golds) you will have an easier time figuring out the identity of the bird(s) carrying those genes.

X2

and yes i was saying that we NEEEEEEEEED silver eggs if you end up with them! [​IMG] have you seen the parents of the eggs you'll be getting?

8. leahthor

leahthor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    My post got erased so if it shows twice please excuse me.

If you put a silver with a pharoah you will get silvers and pharoahs. This is the best way to get silvers as you are right that it is a lethal gene. Still don't be surprised if some of the silvers only live a couple of days. If you put a silver with a tibetan though you will get bleus (aka charcoals aka etc etc).

I have my silver pied hen with a bleu hen and an italian roo now and I'm getting some weird silver italians. I need to let them get a bit older before I'm sure of whether they are silver or bleus.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  9. syble

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    with the exception of silver(which should be paired with a brown for no leathal eggs), what colors of quail can be kept as like colors to produce replica offspring.
    I know brown to brown makes brown
    whites to white make whites (works for both A&M and english)
    What about the other colors? Are some colors only the product of crossing and are incapable of breeding true?

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Italians and Manchurians can go together and the British Ranges (Tibetan and Rosetta) can go together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by