Issaquah, WA here...

Donner

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Issaquah, WA
I figured I should sign up for the forum now after lurking and reading for a week or two since, after cajoling for a couple years my wife decided chickens might be a good thing after catching an episode of "Get Fresh With Sara Snow" where she showed people raising chickens for eggs even in a small yard in Brooklyn. I had grown up with a back yard chicken coop in the East Bay, CA, where we had anywhere from 1 to 14 chickens at any one time. I can tell the story of how it got down to one someday. So, I was happy (ok am happy, but wait for the rest...) figuring a 5-10 chickens and a little coop an run to build would be no problem. So, found this on Google and tried to figure out what coop to build and how big for our little flock. And, looking for where to get some chicks to raise over the winter.

Well, my wife was saying maybe 6 chickens to start would be good and we could get them from My Pet Chicken or something like that.... And, I could build a little maybe 4x6 coop or something like that. Two days ago, that went out the window. She decided she liked the Rainbow Layers assortment at McMurrays, so 25 female chicks born on her birthday are arriving in two weeks, and I need to house 25 chickens. We have two large dog carriers that we will convert to brooder duty, so that should get us through the winter. But, in two weeks I am going to have some help around, so the "Chicken Mahal" is getting at least dried in the weekend the chicks come in. It goes with the "Dog Mahal" covered patio that helps keep the Collies out of the rain.

I will probably post some plans in the Coop forum for feedback soon, but the basic plan right now is 8x16 coop human height, raised off the ground with either about 20-25sqft set aside for storage (3x8 or 4x5, have not decided which). It will be placed inside the fenced dog yard for additional predator protection, and by putting the run right up against the fence in a corner, I have two less sides to build. The run will be 8-10 by 24-ish plus the area under the coop will also be wired off to provide some more room. I don't want to go wider than 10 ft because I think the run should be roofed with wire and bigger than 10ft spans would probably need additional supports which cost more. The run will not be done in two weeks. I will work that whenever there is a semi-drizzly day this winter.

The thing I am really kind of jazzed to attempt is to basically use DLM in the coop, with sweep out panels at the back on the floor, that sweep right into compost bins. Should make clean out and composting nice and easy.

Now my wife just needs to find a bunch of neighbors to sell eggs to because we can't eat them all.

See you all in the forums...

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome! Sounds like you've got a plan. 25 hens is a lot! A lot of eggs and a lot of cleanup. My suggestion is that you go ahead and put in an order and if it turns out to be too many, you can sell the young pullets that you decide not to keep. I think our six hens are just right for us. We give away our excess eggs or trade them for local produce. I hope you are having with this new project! Best of luck!
thumbsup.gif

Welcome from an imp in Renton

Hey there, I drive through Issaquah whenever I'm headed up the pass.

Nice to see you here.

Check out the Washingtonians thread in the Where are you forum. Lots of nice people there.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom