Issue with integrating a new chick to the flock

Fusty

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2021
I recently tried my hand at hatching chicks, unfortunately, only three ended up hatching and of those three only one is left. She is old enough to go out into the pen with the rest of my flock, in fact, shes almost too old to still be in the brooder. However, every time I try to I introduce her to the flock, my chickens end up terrorizing her and pinning her down and aggressively attacking her. I was a bit worried about this happening and I'm not sure what to do. I have left her out there during the day in a dog crate with food, water, and shade for a few weeks, but they still havent stopped attacking her every time I let her out. What should I do to integrate her into the flock? Shes getting too large for her brooder and needs to be outside asap

I recently tried my hand at hatching chicks, unfortunately, only three ended up hatching and of those three only one is left. She is old enough to go out into the pen with the rest of my flock, in fact, shes almost too old to still be in the brooder. However, every time I try to I introduce her to the flock, my chickens end up terrorizing her and pinning her down and aggressively attacking her. I was a bit worried about this happening and I'm not sure what to do. I have left her out there during the day in a dog crate with food, water, and shade for a few weeks, but they still havent stopped attacking her every time I let her out. What should I do to integrate her into the flock? Shes getting too large for her brooder and needs to be outside asap
Try the look but don’t touch method. Keep her in an area next to the pen so the chick and the flock can interact but can’t actually get at each other.

Try the look but don’t touch method. Keep her in an area next to the pen so the chick and the flock can interact but can’t actually get at each other.
I have done this, but it hasn't worked. They are abnormally aggressive with her, I've never had this issue before with introducing other pullets.

I have done this, but it hasn't worked. They are abnormally aggressive with her, I've never had this issue before with introducing other pullets.
Hm. Try taking boss hen out of the coop. This might make the other hens chill enough to not terrorize the baby.

Hm. Try taking boss hen out of the coop. This might make the other hens chill enough to not terrorize the baby.
I'll definitly give that a try, I have a boss hen and a rooster that likes to instigate things, I think I'll take them both out

Back
Top Bottom