Issues Introducing New Birds?

tiffrosef

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 17, 2014
I know this is a really typical issue but I don't know what to do to fix it. I've read all the things on how to introduce new chickens into your flock, I gave them time where they could see each other but were separate, I free ranged them upon first meeting each other, they went through their first bout of attacking and pecking the new ones but nothing too vicious, everything seemed pretty normal. The day after I introducted them, the older hens chased my new ones into the coop and won't let them out. I figured it would only last a few days, but it's been nearly two weeks now! I have food and water in the coop for them so they aren't in any real danger, but I am sure they'd like to come out. Any time they try my older girls peck them and chase them until they are back in the coop.

I free range them when I can and that seems to drastically lower the amount of pecking happening but I can't free range them all the time (predators are a problem here, as well as the neighbors dogs). I feel bad for my littles being stuck in the coop all day long.

Any ideas, or is time the only solution?

How small are the 'littles'? They may have to mature more before they can secure their positions in the flock. As long as they are managing to eat and drink and are not being injured, I would allow them time to work things out.

When I introduced my new girl, I ended up separating the mean hen. I put her in a 'troublemaker pen' that she could see through but that was the only place she could be for probably a week. After that, I had no issues. I read it breaks up the pecking order.
(side note, just separating her into my quarantine pen didn't work. I built a small area inside the run that she stayed in. I think it's important that they see each other)

They are about two months old, but three of them are bantams so they're still small. Two of the littles are full sized birds, nearly as big as the rest of my flock, but they pick on the two full sized littles just as much as the bantams.

Back
Top Bottom