Issues transitioning mama and babies back to flock.

bbuys

Hatching
Nov 9, 2022
Hi! Hoping someone has some advice. We had our first hen (BO) get broody and she managed to hatch out 2 babies. We had moved her to a fenced off area in the coop when she got broody because she insisted on the highest nesting box and we were worried about babies being up higher. Babies are a week old and we keep trying to bring mama and babies out to be around the flock. Mama seems to not pay any attention to the BO half of our flock but is hostile towards our RIR hens even looking at her and babies - today she actually fought with and chased them out of the coop. We have had BO hens coming up looking at babies right in her personal space.. pecked babies and she does nothing.. today one of the BO hens actually grabbed a chick twice and managed to toss it both times and while baby was very upset and mom got fussy.. she never stopped the hen or tried to fend her off from the babies. Mama did want to be put back into the closed off pen. We are trying to figure out how to mix them back in. ANY suggestions much appreciated!!

Was the chick injured?
How much space do you have?
It is normal for flock members to be curious about the chicks and peck them. Flip them, not so much.
It is also normal for the mother to drive off hens she does not trust and permit those that she does trust to interact with her chicks.
And welcome to BYC!

Was the chick injured?
How much space do you have?
It is normal for flock members to be curious about the chicks and peck them. Flip them, not so much.
It is also normal for the mother to drive off hens she does not trust and permit those that she does trust to interact with her chicks.
And welcome to BYC!
Thank you for the reply! The chick was not injured.. just upset. The coop is 11x10 with a 4x3 foot jut-out that we meshed/closed off for mama and chicks (so, all the birds can see and hear each other at all times since babies were hatched). I expected her to be protective and was glad to see that happening, but was surprised she only goes after the RIR and doesn't bother with any curious BO's in the flock.. especially when they are picking on the babies. Our plan was to try and have mama and chicks out for a while each day to have her deal with the curious birds and not have the babies hurt but now I'm wondering if we need to wait longer or what the best way of handling things would be.

Thank you for the reply! The chick was not injured.. just upset. The coop is 11x10 with a 4x3 foot jut-out that we meshed/closed off for mama and chicks (so, all the birds can see and hear each other at all times since babies were hatched). I expected her to be protective and was glad to see that happening, but was surprised she only goes after the RIR and doesn't bother with any curious BO's in the flock.. especially when they are picking on the babies. Our plan was to try and have mama and chicks out for a while each day to have her deal with the curious birds and not have the babies hurt but now I'm wondering if we need to wait longer or what the best way of handling things would be.
I would let her go where she wants with the chicks. It doesn't sound like she is having trouble protecting them. Again, it is normal for other flock members to be curious about the newest additions to the flock. They have no other way of getting to know them but to peck them. That doesn't mean they are trying to hurt them.
Do you have the flock transitioned over to an "all" flock type of feed or a good starter crumble so mom has can feed them? Just put out oyster shell on the side for any active layers.

If they are only a week old I would give them another few days to a week and see how she goes from there. Does she actually want to come out? or are you wanting her out? Best to let her make the choice.
Well... the chicks are now 10-week old, fully feathered and undoubtedly on their own pullets and cockerels. This discussion was started Dec 20.

Back
Top Bottom