Issues with a bantam rooster/full sized hen cross?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by otis7, Jan 9, 2014.

1. otis7

otis7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    We are no chicken breeders by any means! My bantam barred rock rooster was killed by a hawk, so we had the crazy idea of trying to hatch out some of his eggs. The only hen we think he successfully mated with, due to her smaller size is my rir hen. They are in the incubator now at day 14 and doing well. Would a potential chick have any disorders due to the size difference? This roosters sister laid large eggs for her small size and eventually died of a severe prolapse. I am now worried we may have created something unhealthy, assuming they make it too hatch. Also, what would a barred rock/rir look like?

2. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    No, it'll be just fine. :) Have fun hatching! Hope you get a nice little cockerel.

3. otis7

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    Glad to hear :). Well be happy with whatever we get, if anything. Only two eggs made it this far. Two hens would be fine with me ;). Certaintly miss having a rooster though.

4. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    And it's not like roosters are hard to find ;).

5. otis7

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    Exactly! This was the only way I'd probably incubate. Our little acre can't handle too many roosters and I don't have the heart to do anything about a bunch of roosters! If we get two Roos, that's fine. I just hope we don't end up with only one hatcher! Dependent chicks are so hard to introduce to the flock. With the temps, I don't know if we would be able to find a companion. Don't want to get too far ahead of myself, our incubator has been a little disaster, I'm stunned they've made it this far. If we get two hens, I'll go adopt myself a nice rooster. Maybe even give my occasionally broody hen a test run, then I can say we've done it all!

6. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    That's the attitude to have! :) If you get two roos you can always sell one to someone on here :)

7. otis7

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by