Issues with coop and run next to/under fruit trees.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KindOfKin, Feb 11, 2014.

1. KindOfKin

KindOfKin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    I have scanned around and have seen a bit about chicken treats (the "Chicken Treat Chart") and some threads about chickens and fruit trees. My first choice out of my options to place my coop and run will be along my fence which just happens to line up with my neighbors pear tree. I didnt see much about pears. I will not be able to locate it to the left as I have a shed there, and locating to the right puts me too close to my house for city code. We get A LOT of fallen pears. The coop and half of the run will be covered with roof, but the end half of the run was intended to be left "open", that is, closed but no solid roof. Should I rethink my locating options? Im sure pears and chunks will make it in the "open" top and the chickens may be able to peck at the pears along the sides on the ground. Will this be a big job in keeping things picked up to keep them away or from eating too many? I have a couple other options to put the coop and run, this just happens to be the most preferred and convenient for me. Thanks. :)

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well, they can eat pears.....tho too much of anything can be a problem...as long as the tree and fruit is not sprayed with anything.

I would avoid the area if possible, a bunch of rotting fruit, and/or squirting chooks, can add up to a nasty mess that will draw flies and other insects. Fruit that lands on solid and mesh roofs could be a problem also.

Any chance the tree can be trimmed from over your property to reduce the amount of fruit fall?

1 person likes this.
  3. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    [​IMG] Half of us are worried about "drawing insects" and the other half are raising them to feed to our birds. Unless you aren't feeding them enough I don't think they will over eat the pears, and they would enjoy them. I personally wouldn't want to suggest to my neighbor that he trim his pear tree so it doesn't feed my chickens, sounds like a possible war there. If insects do become a problem, get a few runner or muscovy ducks. As long as your roof isn't flat, it won't be a problem.

1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well, I was thinking of my bummer apple tree where the ground gets COVERED with wasps after the rotting fruit.....it's kinda nasty, I guess I should have been more specific/graphic. Luckily that tree got nailed in a slide off this winter, so it will no longer be a problem.

5. KindOfKin

KindOfKin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    Thanks. Some pretty good input. I didnt consider the mess they make. I do end up sliding around a lot mowing lawns and stuff. Maybe I dont want to be walking all over in them while tending my chickens. The tree just happens to belong to my Aunt and Uncle, so if I had to trim it Im sure there would be no issue, but, the family members and I do get access to just about as many pears as we can haul up and down the ladder so the more the merrier. :) I think I may just go with a different location. Mostly the for the clean up. It is the biggest pear tree I have seen. We pick it like crazy and there is still plenty on the ground. The coop and run will make it tougher to gather the fallen fruit, and will end up all over the top and sides, and unfortunately, my yard is not big enough for me to leave them and not end up tracking them all over. :( Thanks! I like the direct input from this site. These two posts were very helpful :) Its like brain storm support :)

edit:
    p.s. They do not spray or treat the tree. Or anything in the yard for that matter. Our gardens run along the back fence so we get to share when something breaches the fence also ;) Good relationship haha!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by