Issues with damaged Brinsea taken care of. I am happy!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Sheriff, Nov 10, 2009.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I just got my Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance EX with humidity pump. I opened it to find a hole punched in the digital display and the plastic cracked. See picture:

[​IMG]

In addition, the water pump rotor appears as if the shaft is bent. See picture:

[​IMG]

I paid $500 for this and feel as if it should be in perfect condition. I know hole in the digital display and cracked plastic is damage. What I don't know is if the water pump rotor is supposed to be bent. Does anyone have this pump and can tell me if theirs is bent?

Of course Brinsea is closed now. Their policy states the returns must be UNUSED and are subject to 20% restocking fee and they never refund shipping. I paid extra for 2 day air!. So what do I do with the expensive eggs I have sitting here supposed to go in this thing tomorrow? I am so angry and disappointed. Thought I was getting the best. I guess I'll have to set my eggs in the crappy Hovabator and lose most of them while I try to get Brinsea to make this right. My husband suggested going ahead and using it, ordering another and sending this one back after the other arrives. But I lose $200.00 to new shipping, unrefunded shipping and the 20% restocking fee. This sucks!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mary

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2009
  2. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    I would suggest contacting Brinsea and the shipper and filing a claim for damaged goods. Between one or the other you should be covered at no cost to you. The shipper has insurance for instances like yours. When my new Dickey incubator and hatcher arrived, I opened all of the boxes and inspected the contents on the front porch before the UPS man left.

Marty

3. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    That's crappy. I am a big believer in making enough noise that someone listens and does the right thing. Do it! I bet if you complain enough, you'll not lose that $200.

4. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    I'm really sorry!

5. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    There is NOTHING on their website that says all returns for credit are subject to a 20% restocking fee. In our opinion this thing is a piece of [email protected] and not worth the money we paid for it much less in damaged condition. We plugged it in to see if you can read the display with the cracks. This things is so noisy we had to put it in an unused bedroom with the door closed. I like my incubator to be on my desk when it is in use but that won't be happening if I end up having to keep this thing. I hope Brinsea is open tomorrow so I can get some resolution. They won't even pay return shipping on damaged goods! I am just mad with 2 dozen expensive eggs sitting here!

6. Joyryder

Joyryder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Scandia, PA
    Hi did you get satisfaction from Brinsea. I thinking about buying the advance package, but reading your thread has me concerned.

7. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Absolutely 100% satisfaction! They allowed me to keep the damaged one and use it so I didn't lose my eggs. They sent a replacement and I returned the damaged one when the new one came in. They paid all shipping. I m on lockdown with my first hatch and the temp and humidity have not fluctuated at all. So far I love it!.

Mary

8. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    that's awsome...
    you could have made it really ugly for them.. and had them replace all the shipping costs plus your eggs, and compensation for mental anquish... this was the smartest way for them to handle it..
    glad it worked out for you

one day when i grow up i want a good incubator.. lol.. (when the kids are old enough to live on their own and i have the extra $)

9. BradnKellie

BradnKellie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Highland City, FL
    Good job on being persistant with Brinsea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by