Issues with Hygrometers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rodriguezpoultry, Feb 23, 2009.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    This is my 4th hatch with 3 different hygrometers. They have all been digital and for SOME reason, when the humidity gets high, they die.

I've switched batters, switched hygrometers, everything. They're still on, but you can no longer read the readings, temperature, time, or humidity levels. Even when the humidity was low, it was difficult to read, but I didn't have an issue because I was getting it ready.

After adding more eggs to the incubator, I can not read the hygrometer at all.

SO...is there one specific digital hygrometer that any of you use that will NOT die during incubation?

Here is the one that I have used time and time again:
    [​IMG]

Apparently it's the entire make up of the hygrometer because I've tried 3 different ones over the years. I'm thinking of getting a different one this time and trying the CHEAPO kind:
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10671021

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    This may seem like a stupid question but you have the hygrometer OUTSIDE the incubator with just the probe inside, right?

3. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    No, the humidity "reader" is located in the actual unit. If you stick just the probe in it will only read the temperature inside of the incubator and the humidity OUTSIDE of the incubator.

I think they could have put BOTH on the probe...stupid designers...

4. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I have 2 digital therm/hygro combos like yours, one of them hygrometer went bad when exposed to outside wet conditions.

I do not trust digital hygrometers, period, although digital thermometers are great and accurate.

The best is to use dry/wetbulb combo.

I use a regular hygrometer / thermometer combo (one with mechanical coil attached to a dial) just for humidity reading ignoring its temperature reading.

I know, the humidity reading on those is not very accurate, but I just need to check for humidity increase after day 18. Also they are very reliable and sturdy.

For accurate temperature reading I use digital therm with a mercury therm confirmation and backup.

5. RonnieAtkeson

RonnieAtkeson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    My springfield precisions die after the humidity gets in the very high 60s. Its done it twice now. Had to take it out both times and dry it off, after that i just gave up. Ill still use it during the incubation but after that, its guess work i guess.

6. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i got both of my humidty guages at wal-mart ( el-cheapo) and they have been good ones, but i calbrate them before ever setting of eggs

7. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I use this one in my hova and my sportsman with no problems. It's by acurite also.

[​IMG]

8. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    ah...yours is a bit different than mine...

I went ahead and bought the $6.47 one at Wal-Mart to see what happens. I put the one with the probe on the outside of the incubator so that I could monitor the temp at least.

9. RonnieAtkeson

RonnieAtkeson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Poison Ivy, im gonna try that one next alongside my springfield. What kinda chickie is that black one, silkie or polish or what?

10. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    did you calabrate the one you got from wal-mart? pm me and i will tell you how if you don't know how too william

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by