Issues with my rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by graceffulll, Jun 6, 2016.

1. graceffulll

graceffulll New Egg

Jun 6, 2016
    Let me start by saying that my father in-law rescued these chickens from a chicken plant were he works. They are or were jacked up with steroids. I don't know if they still have steroids in there system. But, I have noticed the past few days that my rooster is having an issue with walking. He takes a couple steps and stops with his butt in the air. his poop is runny as well. He seems to be eating and drinking fine. I feel so bad for him, I don't know what is wrong with him or how to help him. If someone can help me with any suggestions on how to help this little guy

2. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    First let me say your father-in-law is my hero ;)
    What food does your rooster eat? And do they free-range? How many chickens do you have and how long have you had this guy? I think first step may be to get some vitamins/electrolytes into his drinking water. Sorry that's the best I can offer.

3. TheFoxyChicken

TheFoxyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2016
    Charleston, SC
    I am new to this site, so take my words with a grain of salt. I may be jumping the gun here, but the runny poop and drunk walk sounds like he may have caught something. Do you have or use Corid?

4. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Are these meat birds?

5. graceffulll

graceffulll New Egg

Jun 6, 2016
    I agree my hero as well! We have 6 that he rescued. We've had him for about 4 months an he was in bad shape when we received him. I'll look in on getting vitamins an electrolytes as well

6. graceffulll

graceffulll New Egg

Jun 6, 2016
    I don't know what corid is, I'm sorry to say.

7. graceffulll

graceffulll New Egg

Jun 6, 2016
    Before my father in law rescued them they were intended to be meat birds.

8. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Eggsoteric raised a great point I hadn't even thought of. Some breeds are strictly meant as meat birds and they grow so fast that they won't live long. Do you know what kind they are? If not can you post a pic and someone can determine that for you. I'm afraid if they are meat birds there won't be much you will be able to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by