Ist time egg bound hen, pls help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickengal30, Feb 3, 2012.

1. chickengal30

chickengal30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    West coast of Florida.
    Hello. Ive read a ton on being egg bound but wanted to ask you all as nothings happening.

Laura, is a black sex link, and is ten months old. This is the fourth day with no egg (no signs of moulting or being broody) Shes been in and out of the egg box, trying to lay but nothing. As of yesterday, day three, she started sitting around on the floor not interested in much.
    I gave her a 30 min warm bath and massage last night and checked to see if I could feel an egg in her vent but no. Put her in a dog crate, darkened it, gave her watered down gatorade and a heater. This morning no egg. some runny poo, shes eating and drinking (not a whole lot though) wattles and comb red, but she has lost weight.Gave her another 30 min bath and massage this morning.
    Not to be pesamistic, but Ive read that if she was egg bound, it would of killed her by now, day four? Is that acurate?
    Anything else I should/could be doing? Surley would hate to loose her. Thankyou for any advise.

2. anet

anet New Egg

Feb 2, 2012
    Im not very experienced in this but I did alot of reading about this a few days ago, sounds like you are doing everything right, I too read that the chicken will die in 48 hours but then asked an old farmer and he said that wouldnt happen so hopefully your chicken will be ok, if I find anymore info on this I will post you right away.

3. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i was coming onto this part of the forum (illness etc) for just the same exact reason! i have an EE girl who is just over 7 months old....HAS been laying, but now will not. same symptoms as your hen. i can't feel an egg in there (externally). she's all droopy too. i now have her inside, just brought her in as a matter of fact. she's in a small dog crate with a heating pad set on medium. i gave her some water with vitamins in it. i have read contradicting thoughts on what to do about it on different web sites. some say not to stick your fingers in there to root around cuz it could make matters worse. some say to do it. i have NOT done it, but would be willing if i thought it would help her. i have read that sometimes it's just the hens internal workings and that if it happens again, to cull her. this is MY 1st time dealing with this too. they are all on Layena, they have grit and oyster shell available, they free range for half the day, they also get table scraps. i too would love to hear from anyone with any experience in this matter.
    oh, they also get some scratch and BOSS every day. i gave BOSS cuz i read awhile ago that it helps them to not get egg bound cuz of the oils in it. [​IMG]
    later......now that she's been inside for about 30 minutes, i can tell she has an odd smell to her. also, no poop, only white stuff (her urine). poor girl, i feel so bad for her.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  4. chickengal30

Mar 13, 2011
    West coast of Florida.
    chkinut, thanks for your post, and sorry your going through this as well.

Like you my girls (I have six) have as well as there crumbles, grit, oyster shell plenty of veggie scraps and daily have BOSS, like you to prevent this very problem - ahhh!!! I guess these things are out of our control. if you have any changes or you try something new, please let me know, I don't know of anything more to do at this point. Wishing you the best.

5. chickengal30

Mar 13, 2011
    West coast of Florida.
    Does anyone else have any idears?

I have just finnished giving her another bath, and the sweetie fell asleep in my arms when I wrapped her up in a towel. She seems weak and I havent seen her drink since this morning. Still no egg and just a little runny poo.
    Why is it always the sweetiest ones...... :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by