It’s been decided I think

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bluerosesd, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Bluerosesd

Bluerosesd Chirping

Feb 20, 2018
    South eastern Ky
    So I think I have decided what I am getting. I am getting 12. 3 silver laced wyandottes 3 Dominique and 6 Easter Eggers. I was sure this is what I wanted until my boyfriend asked if they would get along. now I am not so sure. I have researched the looks of the chickens bug not the temperament of the chickens! Back to the books I guess!

Better Than Rubies likes this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Waiting on a Fresh Garden Salad

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They should get along fine. Some people have troubles with Wyandotte and smaller set ups, so how big your setup can dictate how your birds will act. The bigger the better, if smaller it's best to stick with more gentle breeds.

3. I had 2 silver laced Wyandottes with 4 other chicks and they got along perfectly and still do:)

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Waiting on a Fresh Garden Salad

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I haven't had any troubles either with Wyandotte, but I have read posts so???

5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    In my small mixed flock, my SLW has always been at the top of the pecking order, but never particularly mean. I also have a GLW who is the runt of the bunch, but I never feel she is at the bottom of the pecking order either. No drama, no blood, not injuries, but they do rule the roost.

6. Bluerosesd

Bluerosesd Chirping

Feb 20, 2018
    South eastern Ky
    I haven’t gotten my coop/run built yet. Wonder how big the run need to be for them to get alone. I really wanted the Wyandotte chicks.

7. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I think you picked a great bunch of chicks.

Bigger though is always better.Make your run as big as possible .

TwistedSteel likes this.
  8. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Unless (devils advocate) You pick 3 Wyandotte, 3 Dominique, 3 EEs, and 3 white egg layers... like Ancona or Spitzhauben.

The other colors will look better with a few white for contrast.

9. Rob Tof

Rob Tof Songster

Jun 14, 2017
    Conn
    I have all 3 if there all the same age they’ll be fine.

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    You should have at least 4 s.f. in coop and 10 s.f. in run per bird. And while we're at it, ventilation = to 10% of floor space, or 1 s.f./bird, perch = to 1 l.f./bird. I've had all of these breeds in my flock. LOVE Doms and EE. SLW are pure eye candy, but don't have the charm of the former two. Check Henderson's Chicken Breed's chart for more info about breed selection.

Or some Buck Eyes! or... or... or... Just like a kid in a candy store. Al makes a wonderful
    suggestion. a bit of white would really make the other colors "pop". Leghorns also come in a rose comb, and in a variety of colors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: