It’s been decided I think

Bluerosesd

Chirping
Feb 20, 2018
South eastern Ky
So I think I have decided what I am getting. I am getting 12. 3 silver laced wyandottes 3 Dominique and 6 Easter Eggers. I was sure this is what I wanted until my boyfriend asked if they would get along. now I am not so sure. I have researched the looks of the chickens bug not the temperament of the chickens! Back to the books I guess!

oldhenlikesdogs

I love September
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
They should get along fine. Some people have troubles with Wyandotte and smaller set ups, so how big your setup can dictate how your birds will act. The bigger the better, if smaller it's best to stick with more gentle breeds.

PirateGirl

Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist
Mar 11, 2017
South Park, Colorado, USA
In my small mixed flock, my SLW has always been at the top of the pecking order, but never particularly mean. I also have a GLW who is the runt of the bunch, but I never feel she is at the bottom of the pecking order either. No drama, no blood, not injuries, but they do rule the roost.

Alaskan

The Frosted Flake
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
My Coop
My Coop
Unless (devils advocate) You pick 3 Wyandotte, 3 Dominique, 3 EEs, and 3 white egg layers... like Ancona or Spitzhauben.

The other colors will look better with a few white for contrast.

Rob Tof

Songster
Jun 14, 2017
Conn
So I think I have decided what I am getting. I am getting 12. 3 silver laced wyandottes 3 Dominique and 6 Easter Eggers. I was sure this is what I wanted until my boyfriend asked if they would get along. now I am not so sure. I have researched the looks of the chickens bug not the temperament of the chickens! Back to the books I guess!
I have all 3 if there all the same age they’ll be fine.

lazy gardener

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Nov 7, 2012
CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
I haven’t gotten my coop/run built yet. Wonder how big the run need to be for them to get alone. I really wanted the Wyandotte chicks.

You should have at least 4 s.f. in coop and 10 s.f. in run per bird. And while we're at it, ventilation = to 10% of floor space, or 1 s.f./bird, perch = to 1 l.f./bird. I've had all of these breeds in my flock. LOVE Doms and EE. SLW are pure eye candy, but don't have the charm of the former two. Check Henderson's Chicken Breed's chart for more info about breed selection.

Unless (devils advocate) You pick 3 Wyandotte, 3 Dominique, 3 EEs, and 3 white egg layers... like Ancona or Spitzhauben.

The other colors will look better with a few white for contrast.

Or some Buck Eyes! or... or... or... Just like a kid in a candy store. Al makes a wonderful
suggestion. a bit of white would really make the other colors "pop". Leghorns also come in a rose comb, and in a variety of colors.

Top Bottom