It’s like an Easter egg hunt!

BabyGotQuack

Crowing
Sep 15, 2021
Utah
Our ladies (as far as I know) haven’t laid eggs since summer. They both were laying on clutches, that never hatched unfortunately, but haven’t laid any eggs since. I asked about that on here and was told that they probably wouldn’t start laying eggs again until spring. My kids were out playing and found these eggs in some of our bushes. They don’t look old to me, but I don’t dare crack em open, I’ll probably never eat an egg again if they’re old and rotten! My ducks usually are really good about laying them in the nesting boxes, or atleast the coop. Now I’m on the hunt for more eggs in the yard. What are your thoughts? Would summer laid eggs look that good in December??

Attachments

• 2F350CD2-8007-49BC-8889-DEF477F23113.jpeg
    2F350CD2-8007-49BC-8889-DEF477F23113.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Our ladies (as far as I know) haven’t laid eggs since summer. They both were laying on clutches, that never hatched unfortunately, but haven’t laid any eggs since. I asked about that on here and was told that they probably wouldn’t start laying eggs again until spring. My kids were out playing and found these eggs in some of our bushes. They don’t look old to me, but I don’t dare crack em open, I’ll probably never eat an egg again if they’re old and rotten! My ducks usually are really good about laying them in the nesting boxes, or atleast the coop. Now I’m on the hunt for more eggs in the yard. What are your thoughts? Would summer laid eggs look that good in December??
I would have to imagine they'd last longer outside in the winter than in the summer (assuming you're in the northern hemisphere). That being said, I typically don't keep eggs that I'm not sure of their lay date because I also do not want to ruin my appetite for eggs LOL.

I would have to imagine they'd last longer outside in the winter than in the summer (assuming you're in the northern hemisphere). That being said, I typically don't keep eggs that I'm not sure of their lay date because I also do not want to ruin my appetite for eggs LOL.
Oh I don’t either, when in doubt toss it out! I’m just curious if they’ve started laying eggs again.

Use the water test by putting them in a bowl full of water. If they stay at the bottom they're still good and if they float they're old.
That’s actually a good idea! I’ve never had one explode but I’ve heard it’s terrible if they do, if they’re from summer is exploding a possibility? I don’t know what makes them explode so I haven’t even touched them yet.

That’s actually a good idea! I’ve never had one explode but I’ve heard it’s terrible if they do, if they’re from summer is exploding a possibility? I don’t know what makes them explode so I haven’t even touched them yet.
I've never had an egg explode from the water test and I find random eggs all of the time, but I always use lukewarm water.

I did the float test and they both floated. Bummer! I was really hoping they were new, I hate having to buy eggs

Attachments

• EE229E24-1A73-4026-A14A-83F2149C5853.jpeg
    EE229E24-1A73-4026-A14A-83F2149C5853.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 4
I agree with the 'when in doubt, throw them out'.
Don't know if you have an area where you can safely toss or bury them. Could be found by predators, like fox, who would return looking for more.
Another alternative is to put them in a sealed plastic bag, then put that into the freezer until garbage day.

Back
Top Bottom