It’s now been a couple of weeks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sarjeanp, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Sarjeanp

Sarjeanp Songster

May 26, 2015
    Hello there! All of my “girls” are now 6.5, 7, and 7.5 weeks old. It is HOT Now, in the 90s, and so I moved the girls to the big coop today. About three days ago, I turned off the heat lamp at night, in the garage to acclimate them. It’s so cool to watch them right now, they have no idea what to think, I left the small coop door open, but they are so afraid to step out and venture into the big wide world! Anyway, the point of this post is to update with my leg horn who I surely thought was a rooster due to the comb and waddle growing faster and getting darker than her sisters. Here is a still from the video that I took, am I to confidently say that it is in fact a rooster, or is it still possible with those bottles and calm that it is a female? I have been sharing with you guys the comb growth, but I have not updated for about two weeks. EDIT: I just uploaded a picture of the other leg horn, his/her sibling.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    chrissynemetz likes this.
  2. Roo5

Roo5 Songster

Feb 17, 2019
    Missouri
    It’s pretty possible,anywho,you should have took the lamp away at about 4 weeks,they weren’t hot?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The leghorn is a cockerel.

4. Sarjeanp

Sarjeanp Songster

May 26, 2015
    No, at Night it was still getting into the high 40s, low 50s. I had it off during the day though for sure.

5. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Crossing the Road

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    Oh yes, that is most definitely a cute little cockerel there :)

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  6. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    CUTE babies!!! :love Definitely a little man, I'm thinking! Whatcha gonna do with him?

7. Sarjeanp

Sarjeanp Songster

May 26, 2015
    My husband really wants to keep him. He feels like he won the lottery by having the white leghorn turn out to be a rooster. He's excited to name him "Foghorn", from Looney Tunes. I have been reading up on having a boy in the mix, and as long as I grab the eggs daily and bring them in, no baby can form. The thought of it being a fertile egg, that DOES have cells in it, kind of makes me sad and feel odd, I have to be honest. I will continue to read up on it, and hopefully get over that feeling.

8. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    I get what you're saying, I'd be a little weird about it, too. Maybe once you crack a few and see that they look no different that will help. Plus, it's not as if every fertilized egg will have a broody to hatch it, most of them end up food!

I love LegHorn! :love

9. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Fertilized eggs that aren't allowed to develop taste and pretty much look just like unfertilized ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: