It’s raining!!!!

newchickenmom33

Songster
Jun 4, 2018
Does it hurt a 9 week old pullets (i think he’s a roo) to get wet? It just started raining and I can’t catch him. I’m sure you will all say use a stick or something to help guide him but after 20 minutes and I’m extremely wet I stopped and figure it’ll be dark soon and I’ll grab him when he’s more calm. When they were younger we would bring them inside and put a heat lamp on them to dry them out. He has options for shelter in the run but isn’t using them.

Your fine, hell be fine. Most chickens don't mind a little rain and young chickens might not understand to get out of a heavy rain the first few times but they learn. As long as there is some where safe and dry to go let him try to figure it out. If he is standing in the middle fo the run shivering certainly try to shoo him into the coop or somewhere dry

Mine learned fast. The first hard rain they were in came and we t so fast that they looked completely confused. I ran out and by the time I got there they were shaking off like what the hell was that

Thanks all. My 6 year old son went out and caught “flash” and is now in the coop. It’s amazing how fast the lil guy is. For some reason even my 21 week old hens just stand in the rain so I just coop them when it starts to come down... next time I’ll leave them all alone and see what happens. I just don’t want sick birds.

Does it hurt a 9 week old pullets (i think he’s a roo) to get wet? It just started raining and I can’t catch him. I’m sure you will all say use a stick or something to help guide him but after 20 minutes and I’m extremely wet I stopped and figure it’ll be dark soon and I’ll grab him when he’s more calm. When they were younger we would bring them inside and put a heat lamp on them to dry them out. He has options for shelter in the run but isn’t using them.
Wow! Where are you? Here in California it does not rain in the summer at all. It's very hot here, today its 105 degrees. Your chicken should be fine, especially if there is somewhere he can get out of the rain, a tree, patio table, etc. He will drip dry and be fine! :cool:

Chickens do have oils on thier feathers that help keep some of the water off. Its not water proof like a duck but it is pretty water resistant to a light rain.

My chicken free range most of the day so when it rains I ended up with a lot of then on the porch abs under the eves. But mine are only bothered by downpours or still fine shelters when she wasn't ti dry off a little

Wow! Where are you? Here in California it does not rain in the summer at all. It's very hot here, today its 105 degrees. Your chicken should be fine, especially if there is somewhere he can get out of the rain, a tree, patio table, etc. He will drip dry and be fine! :cool:
I’m Colorado... the weather is a lil crazy... we get snow in April and hail in June/July... it was in the 90’s today... probably the high 70’s now

He’ll be fine. I got home yesterday after a torrential downpour, and all the girls were inside nice and dry except my 2 silkies. They were walking around in the run, both soaking wet, enjoying the sun before it set. I don’t think they went inside at all during the downpour.

Back
Top Bottom