It begins! My first 2 chicks, pics, and breed confirmation?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hyzenthlay, Mar 31, 2009.

1. hyzenthlay

hyzenthlay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    SW PA
    Well, I've gone and done it. I got two chicks from Meyer yesterday. And they're cute. Healthy, active, and cute.

Now, here's the thing. They're supposed to be an EE pullet and a Silver Laced Wyandotte pullet. And that's what they look like to me. I called ahead yesterday before I drove out there and picked them up, and Meyer confirmed that that's what my order said. Well, I was so excited when I picked them up that I didn't look at my receipt until I got home. And it said that I had purchased an Ameraucana pullet and an Ameraucana male. Ack!! I live in the city, and most definitely cannot have a rooster. I most certainly did not order an Ameraucana male. I called Meyer this morning to see if the receipt was just wrong, but the people there said, no, that's what your order says. D'oh! That's not what it said when I called yesterday! Anyway, I STILL think it looks like I got the right birds, but I was hoping maybe you guys could confirm it for me. Otherwise, I guess I'm just stuck waiting to see how they grow up.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can you tell from these pictures? Have you seen a hatchery EE that looks like that black chick? Do either of them seem male at all?

I'm going to cross post this in the "What Breed am I" board to see if I can get additional opinions. Thanks!!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. fowl weathered friend

fowl weathered friend Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    The top one does look like an EE, and you can see the kind of mini-beard/muff starting. The beard/muff doesn't look as pronounced as with some chicks, but EEs are really mutt breeds anyway so colouring and eventual egg colour are up in the air.
    The other certainly looks like a Wyandotte

As for pullets....[​IMG]...unless they're guaranteed sexed it's next to impossible to tell by appearance at this age!

I'd call your supplier, but the second looks wyandotte-ish? Maybe it's just a receipt error?

3. hyzenthlay

Feb 26, 2009
    SW PA
    Thanks! Yes, I'm hoping it's just some kind of receipt error! I definitely see the mini-muff on the light one, and I did think the dark one looked pretty much like all the pictures of SLW chicks I've seen--the only thing that throws me about her(?) is that she doesn't have as much white markings around the face as I've seen in most of the other online SLW chick pics. But maybe that's just an individual variation?

4. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    Yup I think you got it right -- that looks exactly like my Silver -Laced Wyandotte chick! Cute EE by the way!

5. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    It could be an EE instead of a Wyandotte.

For comparison, here are all 9 of the chicks that were hatched from my eggs. The little chick on the far left with its head down, I thought was a GLW but it turned out to be an EE.

[​IMG]

Here it is at 5 weeks:

[​IMG]

It's mama, Louise:

[​IMG]

Time will tell, in a few weeks it will become obvious if it is wyandotte and which is a roo, too.

edited to correct spelling. No spell checker here!

6. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    i would guess you got the right chicks, but it's very tough to tell so young, especially since EEs come in pretty much all colors...and who knows about genders... even if they try to give you specific genders, 10% of the time they mess it up, so who knows. They sure are cute, though!

7. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    I have to ask....how did you only get 2 chicks? Your restraint is phenomenal! I went up to Mt Healthy Hacthery to get 12 EE's and came back with 21 (3 each of 7 different breeds).

8. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I don't know much, but the silvery one doesn't seem to have green EE legs. Looks like you got what you ordered- 2 very adorable little girls.

I have to question your sanity, though. You only got TWO??? What's up with that????

9. hyzenthlay

Feb 26, 2009
    SW PA
    Yeah, I have to tell you (or maybe I don't) that the restraint is hard. [​IMG] I'm actually getting another chick next week, so I'll have a total of 3, which is about all I'm confident the coop/run we're planning will hold (I'm in the city, on a small lot, so there's a tight constraint on how big we can build). It might hold up to 5 comfortably, but I'm not sure of that, so I want to start out conservative.

And yeah, it's driving me nuts to have this uncertainty (ILoveJoe, your picture scares me!), but I feel better that you guys mostly think I got the right order--I guess all that's left to do is wait and see....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by