It.....BEGINS! [updated on page 4!]

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Desirai, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    Today I went to Lowe's to begin gathering lumber and materials to begin construction on my coop.

Well, I just happened to ask an employee for help finding something and told her about my project and she said, "Well we have some sheds on clearance if you want to look at them."

I thought well, why not. I may find something I could buy and just turn into a coop.

Awwwwwwww YEAH!!!!!!!!!

They had an 8x6ft shed on clearance for $150!!! It was originally $700!!!

I jumped on that like stink on poop.

All I have to do is give it a window and some ventilation! It's perfect!! I'll attach my run to it so that they have their enclosed space.

I'm sooo excited!! It's bigger than what I would have liked to have but HEY! I walked away with a brand new shed for less than $200!

This is gonna be super fun! I went and checked out one they had on display and it's nice. It has a little tiny window in it but it'll need ventilation. And I can mount some shelving for the nest boxes. Woo hoo!!

I'm going to start taking pictures when we start! They're delivering it for me because the truck we have couldn't support the weight :(

It'll be here tomorrow afternoon. I'm sooo excited!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    awesome hook up!!!

what model did you get?

3. Desirai

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    I was too excited to remember any of the information on what I bought.. LOL

Let me go check out lowes website and see if I can find it..

4. Desirai

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
  5. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    That is the one I looked at -the 6x8- The size i need to make things fit is 6'x7' but for $150 I would MAKE it fit.

the problem i have is it must be in kit form in order to fit threw the back yard fence. The lowes i asked they pointed out at the ones already built "demo model" and they where no 150...that is a steel

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  6. Desirai

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    Yep, I don't know anything about building but I have a few people willing to help me. The pre assembled ones were $1000+

I'll learn how to put it together for $150. according to heartland's site they've discontinued that specific size which is why it was on sale for so cheap. Fine by me!! :)

the one thing I'm worried about though is how to put a window in it without messing it up.. but I'm hoping at least one person who is going to help me assemble will be able to figure out how.

I have a fear of things collapsing.. I don't want it to collapse.

7. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Awesome!!!!

8. lesgo54

lesgo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    spencer, tn
    if u get the shed remember to measure twice and cut once for the window

9. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    That was the first thing my father taught me when working construction as my first job! Great steal on the shed!

Nate

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  10. TonySorrento

TonySorrento Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    Congrats to you!!![​IMG] Make sure you have someone who either knows how to put windows in or knows ho to use google ... lol

What a great find![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by