It doesn't help that this chicken hates me... Prolapsed Vent??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kerriliane, Nov 3, 2010.

1. kerriliane

kerriliane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    I noticed an egg covered in blood the other day..and have had no idea where it came from.. then today I managed to get up close to this chicken (that hates me by the way) and see what was going on... I've rinsed her whith the shower head.. and I dont know what to do now..I'm reallllly new to this chicken thing...

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Set her in a warm soak. Go to index then FAQ then scroll down for links to good threads on egg laying problems.

3. kerriliane

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    how do i soak a chicken that hates me? I get near her and she freaks out!

4. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    soak her in warm salt water and then towel dry and then lather her vent in hemorrhoid cream--this should help it pop back in! [​IMG] Sorry she hates you!!! [​IMG] Hopefully she'll apreciate what you're doing for her, but probably not! lol

5. kerriliane

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    It will prolapse again wont it? I'm just worried as shes at least 1 egg a day -er.. and I have no where to keep her seperate from the rest.....

6. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote:Not always. I have had one that continued to prolapse, but have had one that only had it prolapsed once and the soak and cream did the trick and she still lays daily! [​IMG]

7. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:See if you have a pet store nearby or vet office where you can buy a dog crate - an airline kennel. Do you have Wal-Marts in Canada? If nothing else, get a big box and put wire over it.

8. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Keep her separated and in a dark area to discourage egg laying. Keep the vent clean, and put Prep H on it daily. It may take awhile for the prolapse to go back in. It took my hen about a week. You will have to keep an eye on her after it goes back in, because it could happen again.

9. kerriliane

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    She was VERRRY unhappy in my house.. so I let her out to free range, collected some eggs, let the broody out of the broody condo and then saw her in a nest... after she got out, i didnt see any new eggs.. but shes very bloody now...
    I have too weak a stomach to push her prolapse back in.. I'm waiting to hear from a girl I work with who has helped a handful of her own chickens pass eggs that were egg bound.. so Im sure she'll know what shes doing.. until then.. I just hope no one pecks her!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by