It finally came! My new Incubator is here! Set my eggs tonight. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Queen of the chickens, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Queen of the chickens

Queen of the chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    I have 13 Millie Fluer Belgian D'Uclle bantam eggs that I have saved over the last 12 days in the incubator. Just for fun we each picked a mystery mutt out of tonight's egg bucket. Actually, my choice will either be a full golden laced polish or a golden laced/White crested black cross. My hubby chose a Cuckoo Maran x Golden Laced Polish (talk about funky chicken) and my son chose an EExSilver Laced Wyandotte. The bator reached temp in less than 2 hours. We have it plugged into one of the battery back-up thingies you plug a computer into and so far so good. I think I am going to ask for the day off work so I can be home to see them hatch. I was just too excited to wait until Saturday.

2. Nicolla

Nicolla Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    North Alabama
    I'm starting some Welsummers on Friday. Well, hopefully Friday. The eggs should arrive tomorrow and I would like them to sit for 24 hours before I put them in the incubator. So excited!

3. Queen of the chickens

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    Have you hatched "mail-order" eggs before? What is your hatch-rate like? Welsummers are cool. I might like to add them to my collection some day. The chicken math is getting a bit out of hand though, so I have to pace myself.

4. Nicolla

Mar 31, 2011
    North Alabama
    I actually haven't hatched eggs before so we shall see how it goes. A friend of mine is a vet so she's going to help me along the way if I need it and I've done months of research on it so I feel pretty prepared (I'm sure that will change lol).

I had a whole flock of Americaunas and silkies and someone stole all of them in one night. I was so sad. We have since then finished building our house and we are very far off of the road now so we aren't worried about it happening again. So I am starting all over ; )

5. Queen of the chickens

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    Oh my! How awful. Darn chicken-nappers! I hope you have great success. My co-teacher and I tried hatching in our classroom last year, and had zero luck. The other teacher's mom candled them and thinks that most of the eggs weren't ever fertile or viable. Knowing what I know now, I am not surprised. We were so clueless. They didn't have a chance.

6. Nicolla

Mar 31, 2011
    North Alabama
    I hope both of us have incredibly high hatch rates this time around [​IMG]

7. Queen of the chickens

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    How are yours doing? I have 13 who seem to be doing well :). Only two who weren't fertile.

8. orumpoultry

orumpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX
    I have a hen sitting right now due about the same day as you guys... I'm gonna say I'll join? - They're 3/4 claret 1/4 RIR... should make for an interesting hatch. I threw in a few from my layer coop, so it could be just about anything. She's on 12... I think. [​IMG] poor little hen is only 4 lbs but she's hatched 15 for me before!

9. trixieanderson

trixieanderson New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    Bonney Lake, Washington
    can i put incubated eggs that r 18 day old under a their broody momma NOW since theres only a few days letf before their hatching day??????

10. Nicolla

Mar 31, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote: Out of 30 I have 25 that are doing well. Well.... the air cells in almost all of mine are uneven I think from shipping so I hope they hatch [​IMG] I'm really nervous about them. I can see them bouncing around in there though its really neat!! I'm glad yours are doing well!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by