It Glows!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by New adventure, Sep 7, 2009.

1. New adventure

New adventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Last evening at nearly dark, I was looking in the run for any eggs that were "misplaced" when my flashlight beam hit an egg that seemed to glow in the dark. [​IMG]
    It squished when I picked it up, but oh, so carefully, I carried a perfect, shell-less egg into the house and scared the c##p outta my DH when I handed it to him! It was priceless! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's a shot of it (on left) with the light shining thru:

[​IMG]

and one without
    [​IMG]

This is the first one I've ever seen, it's really cool!

2. Hen Mother

Hen Mother Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    California Delta
    Wow! I have never even heard of that happening before --

How exactly does that happen?

Thank you for sharing your find and for the totally cool photos!

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Someone on here explained it once as like a car going through a car wash. As the yolk travels through the plumbing layers are "sprayed" on. Yolk, albumen, membrane and finally shell. A shell-less egg travels through the last phase of the cycle too quickly and so misses the final shell coating (or there's not enough free calcium in the body to produce the shell).

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Soft-shelled eggs are common among new layers, and sometimes even older hens. We get an odd egg every once in a while. I was scared my first time, too. [​IMG]

5. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    That's a really cool pic New Adventure! I remember the first time I reached for a shell-less egg. It really startled me!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    LOL we got those all the time when our girls started laying.

7. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Someone on here explained it once as like a car going through a car wash. As the yolk travels through the plumbing layers are "sprayed" on. Yolk, albumen, membrane and finally shell. A shell-less egg travels through the last phase of the cycle too quickly and so misses the final shell coating (or there's not enough free calcium in the body to produce the shell).

I learned something new today! Thank you! [​IMG]

8. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

I had two hens that had the eggs scared outa them from a lightning bolt nearby! It was obvious that they weren't intended to lay them, because they were the first eggs not to be layed in the nest box

9. New adventure

New adventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Pueblo, Colorado

That's a great explanation! Now I can explain it better to my granddaughter (my #1 chicken wrangler).

Has anyone eaten any of these? I think the dogs might get mine for breakfast tomorrow. Its starting to leak, so it's not a good show-n-tell anymore. It was fun for the kids to examine! [​IMG] I didn't let them throw it tho, mean old nana that I am. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by