1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It got worse! They ALL died!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrsabbott, Oct 16, 2012.

1. mrsabbott

mrsabbott Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2012
    I went out early this morning to check on Lucy, Ethel, and Dorothy and they were all dead! Laying just like Rosie was! When I checked on them last night (at about 8:30p) they were FINE!

I don't understand. I can't think of anything that could have done this. I am just so heartbroken. I'd dreamed of having chickens for years and I loved them to pieces. There was just no sign of anything being wrong.

2. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Mrsabbott I am SO sorry about your loss. [​IMG]
    You're right, it is very strange that they seemed fine early in the day and then died the way they did. How old were they?

3. mrsabbott

mrsabbott Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2012
    They were about 9 weeks old.

4. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    I am so sorry, not only for your loss, but the mystery -- I hope you can find out what happened. I have a Lucy and an Ethel, too.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I'm sorry for your losses.
    I read your other posts. The constant chirping of one of your birds almost sounds like Infectious Bronchitis (IB,) however there are plenty of other symptoms of IB that you wouldve obviously seen and heard. I suspect cocci got ahold of your birds. There are 9 types of cocci that chickens can get. Most people will tell you that there's blood in the feces when dealing with cocci which can be true. There are other strains that dont show blood in the feces that can just as easily take down an otherwise healthy looking bird in no time. Recommended treatment of choice is Corid.
    There are other factors to be considered; external/internal parasites, moldy feed or environmental issues such as ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, perhaps previous pesticide use on the ground and so on.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by