1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

IT HAPPENED! 2 OF MY GIRLS WENT BROODY

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bunniesanchez, Mar 2, 2015.

1. bunniesanchez

bunniesanchez Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    so my first attempt with incubation totally sucked! I lost all 14 babies. not one hatched =/ I placed 48 eggs in the bator 6 days ago to try again... on the 3rd day I went outside to play with my girls (chickens) because I had been sick for a few days so I had passed on the chicken duties to my sons. and I noticed that 1 girl from each flock was puffed out sitting in the nesting boxes... I asked my husband how long they had been in there and he said 3 days! they turned broody around the same time that I placed babies in the incubator.

my silkie appeared to have stolen some eggs and had 9 eggs under her, while my orphington from the other flock only had 2. So I took the 6 eggs that did not belong to her and placed them with Gorda (the orphington) and took 6 of her own eggs (silkie) from the bator and snuck them in while she was eating. I marked all the eggs with an X and have been taking new eggs from the nest.

as for my bator I swear that thing is off temperature. Its factory set to 38c and out of no where it drops to 32c. I tried calibrating it and the temperature went right back up to 38c. Do I keep calibrating it? humidity fluctuates between 60 and 70 it goes higher but ive been able to catch it and uncover the top a bit.

my wonderful husband has built me a new box just for gorda so we can get her low to the ground, he has also built silkie B her very own maternity ward so we will be attempting to move them tonight.

[​IMG]

2. Memeschix

Memeschix Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2014
    Central texas
    Sorry about the eggs.:/:barnie but how wonderful to get two hens that are broody!:celebrate

3. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    What kind of incubator is it and where do you keep it?
    Placing it in or by a window will change the temp too much throughout the day, if its in a garage or basement then the humidity will change too much.

4. bunniesanchez

Jul 25, 2014
    I don't think it has a name. the box just says 48 automatic egg turner.

I keep it in my master bathroom with the door shut at all times. the ceiling has a heater installed so when the machine starts beeping that the temperature starts dropping I just switch on the heater for a few minutes.

I candled the eggs yesterday I removed 3 unfertile ones. I also snuck 3 silkie eggs underneath my silkie and 3 underneath my orphington. I figured they new what they were doing better than I did lol

5. aatx

aatx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2014
    Erath County, Texas
    You don't want to have eggs of different ages under your broodies. All eggs should be put under at the same time and then no more allowed.

6. bunniesanchez

Jul 25, 2014
    they are the same age. I had taken all their eggs the night before I incubated. they started sitting on the eggs they laid that day. so basically they turned broody the same day I started incubating.

7. bunniesanchez

Jul 25, 2014
    yes I was realllly excited!!! hoping they do a better job of hatching their eggs then I did lol

8. chickenWill

chickenWill Out Of The Brooder

Yes the hens do seem to do a better job IMHO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by