It happened to me too

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Caincando1, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Caincando1

Caincando1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Dodge Center MN
    I have a nice Banty rooster and two pullets, one RIR and one Barred Rock... Well I did... The Barred Rock's comb and waddles kept getting bigger and reder then came the crowing. So now I realize I have two roosters and 1 hen. The Banty Rooster has been crowing for 3-4 months now and the BR just started crowing this past month. I've noticed that they don't crow together, it's either one or the other. They all get along well and roost together and everything. I'm assuming this is because the Banty is so much smaller. Anyways I'm going to want to add at least 1 more hen so I can have 2 layers. I'm wondering if another hen will disturb the flock because the roosters will have two hens to choose from instead of just one.

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, that's not many hens for two roos...I sense a coop war starting.

Any chance of splitting the flock in two or rehoming one roo before adding more hens?

Just musing...and when you get new hens get several so that a single addition will not be a target for the new one, and be sure to quarantine for 30 days...[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    You will probably want to add more than one, or you might end up with some bare backed hens and bloody roosters.

4. Caincando1

Caincando1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Dodge Center MN
    That's what I'm affraid of. They've been living together for 4 months and get along great. But I'm assuming this is because they were adolesents when I put them together and learned the pecking order. I was thinking that adding more hens would fire up the roosters now that they are reaching maturity. It won't be a problem to re-home the Banty back to the neighbors where I got him from. But he's so neat looking. I'll see how they get along and if it doesn't work I'll send the Banty back to his family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by