1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

It HAPPENED!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by horsewishr, Sep 12, 2007.

1. horsewishr

horsewishr Songster

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    I got my first egg [​IMG] . After 22&1/2 weeks! Yesterday there was evidence that one of the hens was making the nest box all "homey." The golf balls were rearranged, and all the hay was hollowed out.

Today I decided NOT to bother them. And this afternoon I found this:
    [​IMG]

A large store-bought egg for comparison
    [​IMG]

It's just adorable!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Omeletta

Omeletta Songster

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Congratulations! Mine are 22 weeks, and I am still waiting, too! Any minute now.... [​IMG]

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

YEAH!!!!! Soooo lovely!! I got my first one yesterday. It will be the tastiest egg you ever had!!

4. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Songster

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    i was happy when i got my first egg i wanted to do the happy dance. the egg i got was tiny and cute i did not want to eat it !!!
    that is a pretty good size egg which one of your babies gave it to you? give her a nice treat.

5. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    [​IMG]
    There's a lot of us getting our first eggs this week!!!
    [​IMG]

6. horsewishr

horsewishr Songster

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Quote:You know, all the pictures I took were deceiving. It's really quite tiny, but you know how the camera puts weight on you [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure it's from my RIR. She was the first to show signs of maturity. But I didn't see anybody in the nest yesterday or today.

I need a spy cam!

7. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    You know what I have a RIR that looks to be the most mature and she has yet to lay. Now my 2 that are laying look to be the least mature...except Boo (Barred Rock) has huge bloomers on. You never know unless you see them do it I guess.

8. eggzettera

eggzettera Songster

Congrat's how exciting, I got my first egg on the 1st (not for sure did not check on the 31st) I just have assumed that it is from my EE but after reading Trish's post I am thinking I really should check their vents (I can not type that word now without thinking about the "vent thread" & smile).

I just assumed because she is so much bigger......but now I am hoping it was from the bantam - they have been brown eggs & I really wanted green or blue......

I started out with 4 had to cull an EE due to him mounting my little bantam cochin who just could NOT handle his weight & attentions (tried rehoming through craig's list and freecycle to no avail - I am basically in SLC, UT).....so out of 2 EE's I have now only one and out of the 2 bantam's cochin's I have only one pullet. So 2 pullets & one cockerel - they are so addicting. So if they both lay brown or white eggs I think I will just try again in the spring when the feed store has them in again. Now that I know to check their ears.....you guys are great!

9. schmoo

schmoo Songster

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Quote:Congrats horsewishr!

I told my 21 sex links (18 weeks old) today that I am not eating another egg until they lay one. I only want to eat theirs. I gave them the "talk" [​IMG] Atleast 5 of them look REALLY ready. [​IMG]

10. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Songster

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Congrats on the egg!

At least I'm getting duck eggs now. Still some weeks to go on the chickens (14-1/2 weeks and counting!)

trish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by