it has been 8 days since my last egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicks R Friends NOT Food, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    I'm so very dissapointed. I found my "first egg" which was actually 3 since I had stopped checking for a few days. Then no egg the next day, then an egg the day after that. Then..... nothing. After 4 eggs she seems to give up. She's definately not broody, and doesn't appear to be molting or eggbound. She is on layer pellets. I've tried waiting, asking, then begging, then threatening for eggs- wasn't too hopeful for results, and didn't get any. [​IMG] I now leave this to the experts to figure out.

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Look for snakes.

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    [​IMG]

Seriously though, check for snakes like saddina said. Also there was a member a while back that had that same problem and found out her neighbor was stealing eggs. Another found out her husband was throwing them out! That was actually a funny story! Sometimes heat and or stress can make them stop too. Good luck!

4. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

[​IMG] hahaha

5. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    Quote:[​IMG] My turkey hen is named Henrietta.

I think I can rule out neighbors and family. Maybe snakes, but I haven't seen any. Heat is a possibility, but it's starting to cool down, so if that's it maybe she'll lay soon. I'm not sure what would've stressed her out not much new was going on except her beginning to lay. Of course yesterday I switched her into a larger coop- hopefully that doesn't prolong her "vacation".

6. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

yay ive gone from coop to coop a few times in the past 2 weeks and now im getting nothing , i think its just stress and im waiting for it to cool down a bit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by