It has been a while, run update Chickens, Ducks, Turkeys, and PICS!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Scottingitup, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Scottingitup

Scottingitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Crestview, FL
    So it has been a few months since the project was started here is where I stand today.

The water hose and or pvc above ground was just not cutting it, too much maintenance. The water was also too hot to drink.

The tool of the day (trenching shovel), er, week ok month(s). I trenched a little each day after work, I could get in about 10-12' a day depending on root density. I could have gone much faster but decided to not wear myself out.

[​IMG]

The connection to the house, shown here is a slight bit different. The ball valve sits below the back flow valve as this will let me drain the line for overnight freezes.

[​IMG]

The trench out to almost parallel with back wall of runs.

[​IMG]

turn to the pen and my inspectors..

[​IMG]

160' of trench to the end, my inspectors approve.

[​IMG]

Here there be chickens..

[​IMG]

The new watering setup for chickens, works great and I plan on adding semi-permanent shade here to prevent the water from getting warm. The black tube you see draped to the right was removed and replaced by the white hose - it could not stand the pressure. My next set of inspectors approve.

[​IMG]

Auto dog water-er for the turkeys from TSC.

[​IMG]

The turkey roost and food station completed yesterday. The wood ibeams were cut down from what I had hoped would make the top of the runs, it worked but was very bulky and ugly looking. It sagged more than I had hoped for :-( Oh well...

[​IMG]

Another angle, and you can see the aircraft cable and shade cloth on the top of the picture. Half of the 20x40' run is covered with this cloth.

[​IMG]

A better view of the shade cloth and the wading pool, I let it fill with water from rain and dump it when it gets gross.

[​IMG]

On to ducky land! The landscape timbers are going to be used to run a large bog filter filled with canna lillies - this project is on hold as I can't find anywhere to order the bulbs right now. The filter will come out of the skippy filter run to the front and turn back to run into the pond. This should get me the clear water I have been searching for.

[​IMG]

The gang hanging out, the black and blue runners are new so we are still waiting to name them. A few banana trees for shade and the occasional treat.

[​IMG]

A closer shot of the front of the skippy filter. I did not plant that weed, it grew that big in about 3 weeks. Duck poop is great fertilizer! The pond still has a slight green tinge - it does not smell however.

[​IMG]

Ready for my closeup dad!
    [​IMG]

Backside of the pond.

Doghouse gone duck-house and the really simple cover to keep rain out of their food.

[​IMG]

The other laying box, looks like I need to go collect those. You can also see how I setup each faucet. A hose spigot and a screw on cap for further vertical expansion, this is used for the chickens and turkey water hookup. I went way overkill with faucets there is one every 20 feet for a total of 9, can you tell I really hate dragging hoses?

[​IMG]

It's a bit hot today and the wading pool is empty... yes that is a turkey standing in the watering dish. Have not decided if i want to prevent that or not.

[​IMG]

Backside of turkey roost and food station.

[​IMG]

And the conclusion of our little tour, the backside of the chicken pen.

[​IMG]

I still have 1 empty pen that will be used for meat birds next year. More shadecloth to add to that pen and the chickens pen. Permanent electric for the pond pump, etc. Then I will be 100% done - for now I take a break!

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Very nice. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. XxB0rd3rsxX10

XxB0rd3rsxX10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    wow [​IMG] looks like you spent a lot of time on that!

4. Scottingitup

Scottingitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Crestview, FL
    Any ideas for improvements?

5. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    Impressive set up!! [​IMG]

6. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Whoa! That was a LOT of trenching by hand! Everything looks like it was just a LOT of work! But it all looks great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by