1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

It has been decided. We're going to import birds from Europe.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tigress, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Tigress

Tigress In the Brooder

Jul 15, 2010
    I am one of the most determined people you will ever meet. After almost three years of trying to get my ideas for my book out into the public, finally someone agreed to listen and now it is in the process of being finished and edited. This situation is no different. Although I may be young, I am able to promise my dearest mother that I will buy land for her in Ocala, FL (her dream to live there) with all of the profit I make from this book so she can have a nice place to live and raise her favorite type of trees (she is a landscape freak [​IMG] ). And in return, she promised me she would let me import chickens straight from Europe. It all works out. I get my expensive chickens, and she gets her Palm Tree farm and horse rescue [​IMG] I don't know if this will take a few months or a few years, but I can tell you that I will go through with this plan.

I have been chatting for the past month with breeders from the Netherlands, England and France via email. The ones that did not have what I was looking for were able to point me towards the breeders that did have the breeds I wanted, which was very helpful and kind. A select few of the breeders said they would be happy to help me with my projects in the future, but first they would need to breed more birds if I wanted a good breeding flock.

What am I after so bad, you ask?

Rumpless (+Rumpless Frizzled!) Japanese Bantams, Barnevelders and Brabanters. Fifty birds costs around $30k+ USD alone when having them go through the USDA. Then there are the prices of the birds from the breeders. Because of this, I will keep my flocks isolated from the public, but I will be sure to post pictures the very day they get here.

Note: I am not depending on this book. We have the funds for the birds at the moment, but the book would be a big help if it did sell. You can never start planning too early, epsecially with rare birds like this (and especially ones that cost you $600+)

Rumpless Japanese Bantams (Not mine. Pictures taken from a Dutch website, credit to them)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And my favorite (I want a roo just like him!)
    [​IMG]

What do you think of these Rumpless Japanese Bantams? I like them a lot because they look so funny!

Most importantly:
    Do not rain on my parade by telling me I am wasting my money. I am doing this so I can share these birds with others and know that we have something rare and different.

2. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Songster

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    I'm not going to tell you you are wasting your money, if you have the money and you want to do something - go for it !
    Life is too short not to do what you want, if you can.

I don't particulalry like the rumpless look, part of the Japanese Bantams beauty is not only the size of their tail, but the way they hold them as well. I wouldn't have rumpless Japs.

What do you intend doing with the birds? Are you planning a breeding program or are they just for pets ?

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Japanese Rumpless....ack!

As for Barnvelders and Brabanters, we certainly do need some new blood here! And they will be in the demand because breeders are always looking for something new. Lately we are getting some Welsummer Bantams from Holland so there will be plenty to go around in a few years.

We certainly need Spitzhaubens.....the US Spitzhaubens are so inbred or inconsisent in their feather patterns and mohawks, that we need some new blood. Some folks been wanting to import them but they are so expensive.

When you get them here, be sure to predator proof the chicken coops and runs, it would be very expensive meals for the predators and not something I would want to lose soooo much in the investments.

Like a good daughter, I hope you will give your mom what she always wanted. Good luck!

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    They're pretty adorable... their heads look HUGE with no tails! Remind me of Manx cats.

If that's your dream, then go for it!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    And I thought you'd be importing Chocolate Orps. Now that is a hot breed.

The Japanese are interesting looking, and if that's what you want to import, then go for it. I wonder if they have a lethal gene in breeding (similar to Araucana where you breed a rumpless to a tailed bird).

6. bufforp89

bufforp89 Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Personally I think that they are pretty ugly [​IMG] But if its your money and dream go for it! I would also go for chocolate orps [​IMG]

7. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Songster

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Japs already have a short legged lethal gene, another lethal gene isn't going to help [​IMG]

eta : and those birds are definitely short legged, so 25% of each hatch will be dead (2xshort), 25% will have long legs(2xlong) (and that's a no-no for show birds), the other 50%(1xlong, 1xshort) need to gamble with a possible lethal no butt gene ?

No wonder they cost so much [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010

8. cochin123

cochin123 Songster

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

9. Well, your mom will not be disappointed in Ocala. That's just in my neck of the woods and it really is a beautiful place. Personally, I like the land between Ocala and Williston. It has a little bit of roll to it.

As far as your dream birds...that's wonderful. Believe me, when you get to my age you don't want to have a list of "wish I had of". If you can afford it, go for it!

Don't be offended by folks post that your fav birds are ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

10. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:Neat; they're something I've never seen before! [​IMG]
    I agree that the main appeal with the Japanese breed, for me, is the size and posture of the tail, so I don't quite see the draw to the rumpless, but I say go for it! [​IMG]

I'm been researching importing animals from Europe too - not just birds; I want Poitou Donkeys and Appenzell Goats too, and I want to import some more Dutch Hookbill ducks to get a larger genepool here in the US (the genepool over in Europe is dwindling right now too - without some major work, the Hookbill may not survive another hundred years [​IMG] ), and Steinbacher Geese.

But not until I'm through with college and this internship I've been wanting a place in for YEARS and would sell my soul to get into. [​IMG]

Congrats to you for going for it while you're so young though! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by