It has been months since i saw an egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchik715, Feb 8, 2011.

1. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    So my chickens were attacked by a raccoon in the fall and i have not seen one lousy egg since? do i have to wait for long days to see any eggs or are they never going to lay again? is my only way to find out a light in the coop?

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    If your girls are over two years old, it is normal for them to stop laying when the daylight hours are short (i.e. winter). They will resume when the days get longer. Mine just started producing eggs again last week.

3. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    they are not even one year old...well they will be in a week or so. they started laying last July and laid very well until sept. or oct. and then the attack happened. then the short cold days came and i have not seen an egg since oct. i have scoured the yard and outbuildings as well as the coop and can not find one anywhere. they have not sung the egg song or squatted or had red combs. do i need new birds or what?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    As said, you should start seeing some eggs when the days get longer. I have 3 EE's and got my first blue egg just this week since, I think, October. They will be 3 this spring. It is certainly possible that the attack is involved in why they stopped; stress will do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by