It has begun! *******Pics**********

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rham5151, Nov 6, 2010.

1. rham5151

rham5151 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2010
    These are the first pics of my new baby chicks!! A friend gave me three that came from a Mountainaire chicken farm, does anyone know what kind of chickens Mountainaire uses? I am also trying to think of a name for all of them. Any ideas? Thanks for looking! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Congratulations on your new chicks! Not sure what the breed is, too early for me to tell.

BUT... are those cedar chips I see in the brooder box? If so, get them off them asap, the aromatic oils in cedar are pretty toxic for chicks. Use paper towels until you can replace them.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What ranchhand said. REALLY! No cedar chips.

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Babies are adorable; however, the cedar will give you heartache.
    Toss the cedar quick.

5. CrazyHorse18

CrazyHorse18 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    Michigan
    I agree with everyone on the cedar chips. But, they are so adorable! I love baby chicks. I miss when mine were babies.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Dump the cedar shavings. When I looked at your pictures - that's all I could see. I know cedar is a big NO NO.

7. Braclin

Braclin KY Chicken Farmer

Jul 5, 2010
    Owingsville,KY
    Cute!!

8. Keg

Keg Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2010
    Melbourne
    are they perhaps a little cold? they seem to be huddling a bit - but they might just be a lil shy :)

9. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Shall I tell you about the cedar chips? That would be redundant wouldn't it?
    Okay, names....Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner? They may be some meaties. If they start sprouting with feathers and grow really fast, you will know. Then again, I could be wrong. Doesn't your friend who gave them to you know?
    BTW, pine shavings are good to use, just not the cedar, but beware the dust it gets everywhere.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  10. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    Cute babies! The chics look just like the chics I got about 2 months ago. Same kinda deal....they came from a meat chicken farm. I have no idea what mine are either, but they sure are fun! Handle them daily and they will turn into love bugs. Mine used to crawl all over my lap! We got some new ones recently but I haven't handled them much and they run from us (except at feeding time.!) Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by