It has begun. The first disgruntled student email arrived!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Dec 18, 2009.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I graded finals on Thursday and posted semester grades before I left school. I was wondering how long it would be before I got the first email. It has been approximately 26 hours. This may be a new record for me! Usually it takes a few days.

This one was from a student begging for a way to turn his D into a C so it would count for his minor. The kid got a D because he didn't turn in a bunch of work. Nevermind that this student has failed my classes before for this very same reason. He is shocked and amazed that it happened again. [​IMG]

Why do they think that I just randomly make up grades for them? On day one I give them a chart that shows what everything is worth and how it will average together. Skippy should have known that he was going to make a D when he didn't turn in 20 pts worth of projects. Sheesh. To quote my old professor- "You send them to school. You buy them books, and then they eat the covers."

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

What grade?? Some students are so lazy and they really do wonder how it happens. [​IMG]

3. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    How much snow are you getting?

If it were me, Skippy could make up some extra points by shoveling my way to the chicken coops tomorrow. Dig, Skippy, Dig!

Just kidding. [​IMG]

4. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    This one shouldn't. We have had many, many conversations about this very thing. I'm tired of him failing my classes. He knows better.

5. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    HA! We aren't getting any snow. It's going north and east of us.
    If only I could get a little slave labor out of the deal. I'm pretty sure the tenure committee frowns upon such things though. [​IMG]

I had 5 F's and 4 D's between the two classes. How many emails do you think I'll get? The only plus to this is that I don't get emails from cranky parents questioning why their little Bucket of Sunshine failed out. [​IMG]

6. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Thanks for reminding me, I need to go check my grades! I take full responsibility, so I doubt I'll be emailing any teachers with bad comments!

7. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yay! OEGBman is my favorite. [​IMG]

(I bet you didn't fail any classes though. You have a good work ethic and probably turn everything in, don't you?)

8. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Hey, OEGBman- is that a blue ameraucana roo in your avatar?

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I am in in 7th grade and I have a 15 year old in most of my classes. No joke. He has failed 3 times. He should be in 10th grade.

10. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    It is one thing to fail because you don't understand the material. That just happens. School is hard.

It is an entirely different thing to fail because you don't turn in assignments. That is stupid and lazy beyond belief, especially when you consider that it costs about $6000 to go to school for one semester. That makes each class cost about $400. It's like burning money.

I am happy to help students that need a little more help. I will explain anything and everything to them umpteen times and umpteen different ways until they understand it. I structure my classes so that if you aren't good at one form of testing you can get points another way. There is no reason to fail my class. The only way to fail it is to not turn in work. At that point, I can do nothing for you. If you are too lazy to try the homework assignments then you are on your own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by