It has begun

Tumbling K

Crowing
Oct 5, 2015
Texas
so this morning I have begun my journey down the dark and treacherous path of incubating.

I will try to use this thread as a tracking of my many mistakes along the way. For now, focus will be on hatching production birds, mostly egg layers, but for sure may delve into some meat or dual purpose birds as well. Unfortunately, because of you evil people, I've become enlightened to the fact of pretty colored eggs. Also some of you depraved crack dealers have also shown me some very colorful and pretty feathered birds. Still other of you nefarious people have shown me how much fun it is for all the other fowl.

thank you all very much. The addiction is rising.

The current plan is to start with some cheap, mixed breed fertile eggs, on the first and maybe even the second runs. Then focus on the specific pure breeds I want to produce the various sex linked birds I would like for egg production. Then progress to incubating and hatching the sex linked eggs.

today, one small Hovabator, tomorrow?

THE WORLD!!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Last edited:
ok.

so I'm not proud I did it.......

a little bit ashamed.......

but last night, while turning the eggs, I candled a few.

saw moving stuff!!

had one or two, where it looked like the yolk had gotten significant'y larger, but no veining could be seen?

had one or two, that looked like growth, but no black dot in the center, but could see veining.

then had some, where everything was readily apparent.

okay, I candled all of them!!

(hangs head in shame)

That's the model I'm planning to order this week. I shall join you in overpopulating my yard with birds until my neighbors fear for my sanity!
ya.gif

Good luck and enjoy the ride!
don't do it!!!!

I can already feel the hunger pangs, of wanting to do more and more.

And not just chickens!!! there's ducks, geese, turkeys, guineas, quail, and peacocks!!!

DON'T YOU SEE?!?!?!?!?!

once it grabs hold of you, you can never escape!!!

Dont' look to anyone on this site to help you with your addiction!! they are all enablers. They offer you free eggs, and encouragement, and even advice on how to hatch, raise, then hatch again!!! It's a never ending cycle of support, and enabling!!!

It's too late for me, but please save yourself. I will try to hold them off as long as I can.

So I moved the two chicks from my early January hatch from the brooder into my dog kennel when these new chicks hatched and they've been so silly since, jumping around play fighting and trying to dig to China. The funniest thing though is that my scaredy cat chick found his backbone and tried to chase me off when I reach into the cage. I'm hoping it's not a sign its going to be an aggressive chicken and more along the lines of play. This is a video I took off them 'chasing' me off.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom