It has stopped peeping!! updatepage 3 pics too!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenpiedpiper, Jan 6, 2009.

1. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Ok, egg is under broody hen, after having spent most of its time in an incubator (long story) it was due to hatch on the 5th, now it is peeping constantly, since last night, and you can feel it tapping, but it has not broken a hole yet!! How long do we wait to help, and when we do help, what do we do? I have never assisted before!!

All advice is needed, please help!!

thanks!

Edited, I just listened to it, and I cant hear any peeps anymore!! Have we waited too long!!

Please HELP!!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  2. chickenpiedpiper

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Please? anyone know of another thread anything?

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Since I've never had eggs hatch I can't help, but just wanted to say that I hope this one gets out of there and is okay.

4. Grampa with chickens

Grampa with chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooksville, Florida
    Patience grasshopper,

If it didn't pip yet, it's not ready. No noise means it's propbably resting. Lot of work hatching. Good Luck!!

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] Patience grasshopper... [​IMG]

6. chickenpiedpiper

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Thank you.

I have used the search link and gotten lots of information on how to help the chick after it has 'piped' which I assume is when they make thier first hole, but what if they havent made a hole?

Where do I make the first hole? When? I cant stand that this little guy is just fading right here in my hands, and I dont know when to help!

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:i second that [​IMG]
    this is the most work this chick has done in his whole life,, he needs a break every once in a while [​IMG]

8. chickenpiedpiper

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    this is the most work this chick has done in his whole life,, he needs a break every once in a while [​IMG]

For how long? If he is already a day late..... he is the only viable egg in the clutch, the other one hatched new years day.... Momma is getting ansy, on and off the nest......

My patience is wearing as thin as hers!!

9. Grampa with chickens

Grampa with chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooksville, Florida
    Don't pip the egg.......if conditions weren't quite right, it will be late.

The more you get involved, the better the chance you could kill it. He'll pip when he's ready. And if not, it wasn't meant to be.

10. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

For how long? If he is already a day late..... he is the only viable egg in the clutch, the other one hatched new years day.... Momma is getting ansy, on and off the nest......

My patience is wearing as thin as hers!!

since you started in a bator,, then moved it under her,, even with a running "switch" i would expect it to be a day or 2 late.
    ive never used a broody,, but would think if she's off it, she might know it will still be a day or so , ive heard chicks 2 days before they hatch in the bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by