1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It hatched!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Andora, May 11, 2009.

1. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    One of my two pullet eggs in my homemade Prissy bator just hatched out!!! I watched it zip and then slowly come out of the shell. I had to reach in and slide a towel under it though, because its little legs were getting stuck in the hardwire cloth. I think it's a pure buff brahma chick! I'll post pictures in the morning.

My other egg was peeping, but it stopped this afternoon. I candled it and it looks like it is in the air cell but it hasn't gone through the shell. I didn't see movement or anything. Not sure if it died or if it's resting? What would cause it to die after getting into the air cell?

2. Jennie5193

Jennie5193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    A sudden drop in humidity (when the incubator was opened to slide the towel in) would cause the memebrane around the baby chick to "shrink wrap" it... and would cause it to die. Maybe it was just resting, though. [​IMG]

I only say this, because I had it happen with the chickens I hatched out a little over a week ago. When I did the eggtopsy it looked like that is what happend. I could be wrong, though. Good luck.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  3. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    It just went from 70 to 69, that's not a sudden drop is it?

4. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Here it is!

[​IMG]

5. Jennie5193

Jennie5193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    Well, from what I've read, even though it doesn't register on your hydrometer - it still does dip. IDK, though.

The one you have is precious! Is this your first hatch? I only had 2 hatch out last week and I *love* it... I can't wait to do it again. I"m just going to have to wait until the thing with my neighbor blows over, just to make sure I don't have to give up any. [​IMG]

6. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    Awwww, congratulations!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by