It is 115 in my chicken yard

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by horsefeathers09, Apr 21, 2009.

1. horsefeathers09

horsefeathers09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Phoenix, my poor chickens. They are panting, but otherwise ok, still I'm afraid for them, what can I do to help them? Is a fan ok? Frozen water bottles, any other suggestions? Also, what can I co about the wild birds eating my feed? I have netting over the top but darn sparrows seem to fit through the teeniest gaps. Oh, they have shade, but still it's 100 even in the shade.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I hook one of those misters to my hose when its hot, my girls love it, they hang out under it.
    You can get them at Home Depot , they stand on their own, are about 2-3 foot tall. Lemme see if I can find a pic of it. You can also hook up a misting system to your run... I know some who do that. I bought one but this other is so easy i've never hooked the other up.

ETA: Well this isnt the one I have, the one I have comes in bright colors looks like about 4 ft of hose that is hard plastic ( not pliable ) and it just loops around forming a stand and sticking straight up. I got it last year though.

This one looks nice but more expensive. Mine was under $10

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100611455

Nancy [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

115 already?!?! GEES! I thought Texas was hot!

Freeze some gallons of water and place them sporatically around the yard. They'll huddle around them for the cool air. Probably wouldn't help to put some box fans out and get a breeze as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
  4. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I just turn the hose on them and spray them for a minute or two. They act like it's hot sauce but they're cooler when it's over. I did it several times a day last summer when the temps were high.

5. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Ice in the water, of even adding extra bowls with ice in them Mine like to lean against the ice bowls in the hot weather.

6. horsefeathers09

horsefeathers09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Thanks for the input, I'll get the mist thingy, that's sounds super easy. If I put a kids pool out there would they play in it? Sounds messy.....

7. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:I don't know if they will go in it but make sure it's not deep.......they'll drown.

8. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    Quote:I would skip the pool. Chickens don't play in water, then you'll have a pool of hot water hanging around in the run,.

9. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:Should have added that they'll stand out in the pouring rain though!!!

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have a planter that I use as a water bowl. My birds like to stand in the water. There is a picture on my BYC Page.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by