1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It is almost finished!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Suziers, May 4, 2009.

1. Suziers

Suziers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    I am a first time chicken owner and my husband and I have been designing and building our first coop. We fenced in the run this weekend and it is almost finished. I thought I would share our progress....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Instead of burying the chicken wire 12 inches under ground we folded it it outward 12-15 inches and laid the sod back down on top of it with an additional 2-3 inches of soil. So it is buried about 5-6 inches under.

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Very nice! Are the shingles slate? How many chickens are you going to get?

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Now that's interesting - the "door" or "wall" that opens for cleaning appears to actually have the nest boxes built right into the door - am I seeing this correctly?

4. Suziers

Apr 19, 2009
    Thank you-

The shingles are cedar shake (left over from a recent addition on our home).

And yes the nesting boxes are on the 'door' that opens to clean the coop. I will also be able to lift open the lid of the nesting boxes to gather eggs.

I have 5 chicks at the moment. They are 5-6 weeks old. 2 BO, 1 RIR, 1 BR and one Austrolorpe.

5. xtremevermonter

xtremevermonter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    Very nice! What is the purpose of the small grid wire at the bottom of the run?

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG] Very nice coop and cool design.

7. Suziers

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:The main purpose for the small grid was that the large grid did not reach below the soil line and I needed it below the surface to keep predators from digging under. So I needed to overlap at the bottom to allow fencing below the ground. The secondary reason for choosing the smaller grid to overlap instead of the same size is I have small dogs who have been reaching into the chicks pen. The chicks seem fearless and run up to greet whoever shows up at the fence-the smaller grid keeps my dogs from reaching in and harming the chicks.

8. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    You should have put chicken wire on the bottom of the coop that way you do not have to clean the board all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by