It is awfully hard

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Oct 2, 2011.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    to get motivated to go cut the grass when there are two warm cats curled up asleep next to me and two large dogs snoring peacefully on the end of the sofa. Sigh. I need a nap too.

2. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    ::::Nodding:::they are enablers. Their job is to encourage you to accomplish nothing, and have a nice sleep. Sufficient rest is so important these days. night night

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I haven't mowed mine all summer because of the lack of rain. I refuse to start doing so now, in October. [​IMG]

4. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I'm afraid we are past the point of mowing. We are now cutting hay. I just need a raker and baler and I'd be all set. [​IMG]

If it doesn't get cut today I'm afraid I'll have to get a goat. Or two.

Godsgurl- It's the snoring that's getting to me. I need to put my fingers in my ear and say "la la la" to break free of the force field. [​IMG]

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Maybe you'll feel more like mowing after a little nap... [​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:But just think....with the price of hay you could bale it, sell it and be rich. [​IMG]

Hay has jumped by $5 at the co-op and they stopped selling it at the feed store. [​IMG]

7. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I am prone to not cut the grass until it is too tall. It seems like it goes from perfect to knee high overnight. The random old farmer who likes to stop by to tell me what I am doing wrong gives me grief about haying the grass instead of cutting it. [​IMG]

Perhaps a bite of lunch will motivate me. And a Coke.

I really need a yard boy.

(Hi, Southernbelle!!! I haven't seen you in forever. How are ya? That little frizzle mutt you sent me has turned out to be a girl. She is so stinkin' cute! I so want to buy some frizzle ameraucanas from you next spring if you have some. I am so digging this little girl.)

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    It's raining..it's like 40* here. No WAY are we mowing.

9. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I'm so glad it turned out to be a girl!!!!! [​IMG] I've got a Wheaten Ameraucana roo in with my Frizzled EE girls and my one black Ameraucana girl that I hatched from your eggs. I need to do a test hatch here to see if he's doing his job, right now they're molting like crazy. I'd be so glad to have a tester come the spring! Aren't the Frizzles fun? They're so soft!

In other news, I keep combing the Silkie pen daily for their first egg - nothing, yet. I've definately got a trio. The roo is crowing and doing his rooster dance for the girls and the girls act like girls. I never seen him actually mate a hen and they're not squatting for me when I pet them, so it's just a waiting game. Slackers.

The OEGB pen has quit laying just to annoy me. More slackers. [​IMG]

To complete the hijack of your mowing thread, here's an updated picture of Jacob. He's 10 months today and crawling everywhere and into everything. He's been sick with croup for the last 2 weeks, we were even hospitalized for a while, so things have been busy, busy, busy! (He's much better now.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Awwwww!!! Look at his sweet smoochie face! And that grin! How do you ever quit kissing all over him? He is absolutely adorable!!

I will happily test eggs for you next season. I've put the bator away for this season. I had chicks in the house until Christmas last year and the family objected. Apparently chick smell in the house offends them. [​IMG]

The little Frizzle here (named Priscilla) is a big scaredy cat, but when I do hold her she is incredibly soft. You just want to pet and pet and pet. It's a shame she's so spooky. Clearly I didn't handle her enough when she was little. I've finally got that hatch coming when I bring treats. It's a good start. [​IMG]

How old are those silkies? Mine started laying at about 9 months, give or take. Your lot should man up any day now. Or hen up. [​IMG] We need eggs!!!! Of course, this line seems to lay three eggs and then go broody. Brats. [​IMG] I hope you get eggs soon. In a perfect world they will lay all winter for you since they have waited so long to start up.

Almost everyone here has quit laying. We are molting. Plus the temperatures have dropped considerably. Oh well. I guess winter is coming. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by