It is day two momma wont come out to go to the bathroom?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GoldenSparrow, Jul 5, 2011.

1. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    It is day two, and we have two chicks, Out of the nine eggs.
    One was born at 4 or 3 in the morning, and the other 5 at night.
    We are praying more will hatch.

Penguin ( the mother )has not come of the egg at all for those two days. We put food and water for her and chicks in the nesting box where she is. But mamma is not eating much, I think she needs to go to the bath room, but she has not for the past two day, because she will not go in the nesting box, and she wont go out side.

What should I do?
    Should I take her out to poop? With or with out the babies?
    Thank you for the help.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Don't worry. They "save it up" when they are broody. Leave her with her eggs and chicks, she'll decide when to go for a walk. Hens know what's happening in their eggs and they can hear the chicks and "talk" to them. They know it's important to stay put while the chicks hatch. My broodies usually stay put for about 3 days after the first chick hatched.
    Broody hens don't eat very much. Good idea to supply food and water though. Good luck and hope she hatches them all:jumpy

3. GoldenSparrow

Mar 11, 2011
    I dident bother her, and sure enough she dident get off the eggs , and she had a poop Explosion!!!
    she started shaking and then BOOM!
    she fired it like a gun.

it was huge, and smelled terrable.

we had to move her the chicks, and the egg to clean the nesting box. [​IMG]
    I think I will have to take her out some times. [​IMG]

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Whoops! Sounds like she was a bit too committed...
    I'd say leave her with the eggs and the chicks. She'll get up when she's ready. Has she hatched any more chicks?

5. GoldenSparrow

Mar 11, 2011
    only the two [​IMG]
    do you think anymore will hatch, even if there late? [​IMG]

6. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hopefully! I've heard that chicks can take up to 24 days to hatch. What I usually do is wait until mom gets up and check if the remaining eggs are off (smell them). If they smell o.k. I listen for sounds from the chick, I've helped a chick once that was going crazy in the shell, it survived and grew into a handsome rooster (I seem destined to raise boys). Otherwise wait a bit longer, say 'till the next day, keep the egg(s) warm and damp and if they still won't hatch it's up to you if you want to have a look what's inside or not. It's a grey area. I usually have a look and sometimes you still get a live chick, sometimes it's dead:( Worth it if it's survives:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by