It is finally happening!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bethanyc, Mar 3, 2015.

1. bethanyc

bethanyc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    Hello everyone! My name is Bethany. I have had many pets over the years from dogs, cats, goats, horses, guinea pigs, hamsters, birds, to even a baby raccoon! It is safe to say I am an animal lover, and willing to help every/any pet in need. Right now I currently have 2 dogs, and 3 guinea pigs. My family and I dream of moving to a place with a barn so we can own horses again. Plus every other animal on a farm of course! But the timing not being right, I figured why not bring a little bit of the farm to my house?! I have been dying to get chickens!!! I love chickens plus farm fresh eggs?! Count me in! I thought of buying a coop but I think I would much rather build and personalize my own. I feel like by building it myself, I will be comfortable knowing it is well built. I have never built anything in my life. But I know if i put my mind to it I can do it. ( with the help of my guy friend who is a very handy carpenter) PLUS I love organizing, decorating and painting so I know this will be a ball for me! I have been searching this website through the MANY coops on here. I plan to get 3 or 4 hens. I have a ton of ideas after looking through this site. I always do a ton of research before owning any certain type of pet, so I can make sure I do it right and I can keep my pets happy and healthy.
    I will be starting construction on my coop soon and I will post the whole process!
    I would just like anyone with ANY helpful tips for a first timer, PLEASE feel free to throw me any tips you have!! I would love to hear some tips from fellow chicken owners!
    Thanks SO much, Bethany

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Welcome To BYc!
    Hope you enjoy your chicken Journey!

What info are you looking for?

3. bethanyc

bethanyc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    Anything! Preferable bedding, feed, watering systems, feeding systems, ways to decorate the hen house, etc!

4. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    I use hay.Mites,lice,fleas can crawl into straw.It is also good to add ashes from fire's,and add dirt piles in your coop.This way mites stay away,also adding some powder to the bathing spots,or ashes will definitely help,preferably,natural guard.

I would have your chicks feets up on the coop in paint or cement.Do it as they get older...

Use the water stakes and feeders at the tractor supplies stores (TSC).

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community!

I'd be sure to check out the Learning Center: Learning Center Articles It has lots of great information for beginner chicken raisers.

For bedding, I use pine wood shavings. The shavings are very absorbent, smell nice, and are relatively inexpensive. Straw usually works well, too, though I've never personally used it.
    The correct feed varies depending on your chickens' age. Chicks (0-8 weeks) should be fed a quality chick starter feed. Older chicks (8 weeks to laying age) can continue eating starter feed, or switch to grower feed. At around 18 weeks old, or whenever they begin laying, chickens should eat layer feed. Roosters should preferably not eat layer feed (since they aren't laying and therefore don't need the extra calcium), but with that said, I've fed my roosters layer feed for several years with no problems.

There are many good feeders and waterers to choose from. I would recommend checking out the equipment reviews, found on this page: Breeds & Supplies - BackYard Chickens Community

Likewise, there are tons of great coop styles to pick from, or adapt to your own preferences. The Coops page (Chicken Coop Designs) might be a helpful place to look at.

If you have any more specific questions, just ask! [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our BYC "flock".

Bantamlover21 has given you some good advice!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Rule of thumb allow 4-5 sq.feet per bird inside the coop - excluding nests and roosting areas. In the outdoor run, allow 10 sq.feet per bird. Most people wish they had built larger the first time so they didn't have to add additional coops/runs. Chickens are highly addictive- and BYC ERS are all enablers - no one will say you have too many - so go for it!!

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Bethany. Glad you decided to our flock. Definitely check out our Learning Center link that BantamLover21 left with you. There is lots of useful information there that will keep your from making beginners' mistakes. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by