It is hard not to help.... HELP!!! (picture of belly)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tia, May 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    He has made a nice big pip, but doesn't seem to be able to zip... the hole was there this morning and it is bigger, but his bill stays right up front... not sure it can move enough to zip. I'm trying to be patient and not help... but it is hard. Everyone else has hatched. C'mon little fellow - you can do it!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  2. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hope the little one does OK!

3. Chicken-Rage

Chicken-Rage Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    Taylors SC
    Yea I just caved and just helped my last little guy out............what can I say, I hate rules anyway.

I sure hope your little guy can do it. If not help him, I promise I wont tell anyone.

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    that looks like a duck bill.. It does not look stuck to me.. after pipping, they take a while to finish absorbing the yolk.. I would give it until tomorrow..

quit watching.. they take forever to hatch.. check every two hours at the most.. and do not open the bator.. keep the humidity about 60%.. go to a movie..

5. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Quote:x2 All the way.

Stay busy with somthing. Get your mind off the egg, beause if you keep staring at it, worry is gonna get ya. [​IMG]

6. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I screwed up.... before reading your emails and tried to help.... I shouldn't have... : ( The membrane was stuck around his front part. I think his yolk wasn't absorbed... he came detached from the egg, but looks like his butt is protruding and pink. He is very weak. I was pretty stupid doing that. I just didn't want him to die cause I didn't help... Will he be okay. I put him on a clean paper towel in the incubator.... I feel so bad.

7. britsngrits

britsngrits Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    WV
    I have had to help some chicks that the membrane had dried to them during the hatch process or that they were just too big to complete turning around. I have also let some try to do it all on their own when I thought they were in distress... those ones didn't make it. If it had already put the big hole in it, it should have been pretty ready to be in the world. It is never an easy decision but it is also sad to hear them go quiet and stop making sound totally. Leave him in the bator until you see him walking around and fluffed up. I've had some that hatch that were weak, couldn't stand up.. but went on to be just fine. I never have had one that started to zip that I had to help... ever die. I will hope the same for you! Oh... please don't be too hard on yourself!

8. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    That pink lump should shrink as long as it doesn't get stuck to something. Keep the paper towel it's on damp. Use a spray bottle to give it a spritz when it dries. When the duclking is ready it will crawl out of the paper towel. It will pull it's innerds out if they get stuck to the paper towel. The humidity will go up so you may want to crack the windows on the bator to let some of it out if you have other eggs in there.

I did that with a duckling and it made it but it's 1/2 the size of the others. It's fine just smaller. My grandson calls it the mini-duck.

9. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    It is trying to get up, but one of its little feet is curled up. I spread it out and everything is there, but it isn't flat like the other. Is it deformed or does it just have to straighten out. The poor little guy is trying to get up. I will dampen the paper towel. Thanks... I feel bad that I just didn't wait a little.

10. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    We learn by our mistakes. The one I did took a few days before it got up and sat. I really thought I had killed it but it's going sstrong. It's just alot smaller than the others but it keeps up and does everything they do except jump as high. Because it's shorter than they are. Just give it time to recover and get it's strength. It should be ok. But anything can happen at this point. Not much else you can do that I know of. I've helped out chicks that wheren't done yet that I thought where in trouble and wrapped it in a papertowel with their head so they can still get air and kept the towel damp and when they where ready they crawled out. I usually had to clip the cord. When that happens and if it bleeds I just use a dry paper towel and put a little pressure on it towards the belly till it stops. The skin looks split sometimes where the yolk absorbed but it closes up pretty fast. Just keep an eye on it. If it looks like it's pulling something behind it that isn't cord or that blob of goo that they usualy break loose from,i it may be it's insides getting pulled out. You'll have to put it out of it's misery if that happens.

I wish you and the duckling luck. Just give it some time to get up. But keep an eye on it's belly where the lump is. Could you get a pic of it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by