It is my honor to announce...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Skellington, May 25, 2019.

1. Skellington

Skellington Chirping

Jun 22, 2018
    Olympia, Washington
    I started building my coop last year while my friends were gutting a house they'd bought. They let me take whatever I wanted from their demolition pile, and I hauled a LOT of stuff away -- lots of odd-sized studs and scraps of plywood. They probably saved me a couple hundred bucks on my coop.

So I gave them naming rights to a chicken.

I finally had my friends over to meet the teenage chickens last weekend. Lo and behold, they'd treated the chicken-naming responsibility with - ah - appropriate respect and solemnity.

By which I mean they'd not only chosen a name, but Kate had spent the morning crafting a very tiny sword with which to ceremonially name my chicken.

20190519_200946.jpg
    (It says "Forged in the colonies". Kate is British)

We assembled everyone in my laundry room. In front of the gathered witnesses and with her wife Kat holding the honoree, Kate ("her majesty's representative in the colonies" -- or at least my laundry room) dubbed my buff orpington Lady Bawk of Peckham.

20190519_120224.jpg
    20190519_120226.jpg

Lady Bawk is the smallest of my flock, and the most likely to steal food out of someone else's beak. A perfect aristocrat.

2. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    I'm not objecting or anything, but don't you think dubbing a female like a knight is a little........well unprecedented.:lau
    I suppose she'll be orf to public school when shes' a bit older.;)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe she could be a Knightress- why not?

ChickenCowboy02 and Willowspirit like this.
  4. Skellington

Skellington Chirping

Jun 22, 2018
    Olympia, Washington
    There darn well should be! I thought there were female knights, like Dame Maggie Smith, but it turns out that's an 'equivalent heraldic order.'

...I just spent twenty minutes researching the british honors system because of my teenage chicken. :lol:

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It looks as if Lady Bawk is thinking, "They are going to slit my throat."

6. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Songster

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    That is adorable and hilarious. I just read the story out loud and showed the pictures to my husband K. and son J.

Respectful greetings to Lady Bawk of Peckham!

Skellington and BY Bob like this.
  7. Virginia and James

Virginia and James Songster

Dec 20, 2017
    Western North Carolina
    That's amazing.
    :lau

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: