1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It is safe to add chickens to existing group?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AuburnChickenNewbies, Jun 15, 2011.

1. AuburnChickenNewbies

AuburnChickenNewbies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    We have seven 10-week old chicks left after our dog managed to dig into the temporary pen we set up while finishing their permanent run. Instincts are tough to break!

Anyway, we "had" 10 chickens ... two of five different breeds. One of the chickens that survived is a Buff Orpington and she seems very lonely. She and her buddy Buff pretty much stayed together all the time and now she's a onesie.

The other two onesies seem to be okay and are staying with the group. But she's by herself -- roosting alone with her back turned while everyone else is together.

So my question is whether or not we should get another one or two Buff Orpingtons that are about the same age.

Is it safe to do that? Do I need to worry about bringing in diseases or behavioral problems? Should we try to round out the group again or just go with what we have now until it's chick time again next Spring? Should we try to get chicks about the same age? She sure seems lonely. ...

If it matters, our chicks were not vaccinated. We asked about that when we picked up the chicks and everyone seemed to think we shouldn't worry about it. So we didn't. Now I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem if we add chicks?

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
  3. AuburnChickenNewbies

Apr 8, 2011
    Thank you for the quarantine info. I should have looked that up myself but guess I wasn't thinking straight.[​IMG]

Still wondering, however, whether it's best to add any chickens at all or if chickens are okay without a look alike buddy -- i.e., only one of each breed?[​IMG]

4. ih66series

ih66series Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    I don't think it matters if they are one of a kind, just so they have another chicken to be with.

5. AuburnChickenNewbies

Apr 8, 2011
    Quote:Whew! I think after reading the quarantine thread that I'd rather not add to the flock until next Spring when I can bring a few more chicks into the brooder and keep them away from the big ones for a lengthy period of time.

This is what I needed to know! Thanks so much for your reply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by