It is such a joy to raise baby chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NinnyGillaspie, Dec 9, 2011.

1. NinnyGillaspie

NinnyGillaspie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    My RIR's are 7 weeks old, and have been in their own pen outside with a light since 3 weeks old. They are too cute! When I give the White leghorns next to them a treat, they run up and down the fence, anticipating theirs. I have a stool in their run, and when I sit down, whether I have treats or not, they jump on me , look me in the eyes, get on my head, and act very sweet. I love it!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  2. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I love raising baby chicks too! Mine are all sitting high on the perch with the big chicks now, even tiny little Buttons (my bantam runt)

3. NinnyGillaspie

NinnyGillaspie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    What age did you put the young ones with the flock?

4. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    The babies have been in eyesight of the big chicks since they were about 2 weeks old. I used to put the babies in a little rabbit cage and put them in the yard where the big girls roam. A couple weeks ago, I set up a dog crate inside the main coop. The babies have been in the coop off and on for several weeks, but I would put them in the crate when the big chicks were coming in for the night. Sometime around 10 days ago or so, I would hang out inside the coop and allow them all to be together without cages just to see how they interacted. The pecking wasn't bad at all and lately the babies have been using the perch instead of the crate without any problems. The babies began free ranging with the big chicks a few days ago. They are chased a little, but I haven't seen any real meanness at all - thankfully!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by