It is too cold for the ducklings?

MerryMeridional

Songster
5 Years
Jan 17, 2019
We just put the ducklings outside in the coop. There are 5 indian runners and they are 18 days old (from their mail date). They are all big girls and well fluffed. I'm wondering if it is too cold? The coop is a converted kid's playhouse with studs and walls set up off the ground. There are a couple ventilation areas covered in hardware cloth. We have the bottom lined with thick visqueen plastic and then lots of straw on top of that. There's an area with a heating pad on high for them in basket on its side with lots of straw covered in pine shavings in and around that like a nest. The low tonight is 47 so it is probably low to mid 50s inside the coop structure.
Will they be warm enough? Will they know to go to the warm pad? I tried to "herd" them to the warm area and they didn't seem to care to stay and preferred following me. Is there a way to tell that they are cold?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20190406_085942.jpg
    20190406_085942.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
They should have a heat source that is at a temperature from 80°F to 70°F. They won't be able to keep themselves warm enough until they are fully feathered at around 60 days.

OK thanks. I have a thermometer on the nesting area to keep track. I used the heating pad inside and it was plenty warm so I think it will work definitely for daytime use with the highs in the mid 60s this week. I think they'll be inside at night for awhile longer.

We brought them inside for the night so nevermind. They will have to be out there during the day later this week though with highs in the mid 60s. That's only a few degrees lower than inside. That should be safe, right?
Like I said 80°F to 70°F. Anything lower and you risk them dying. You can try to slowly decrease the temp every week to get them to feather out faster.
Their fluff will not keep them warm, only being fully feathered will.

Thanks for the quick replies last night. They were inside for the night and will continue for another week at least, possibly 2. I think I will pick up a heat lamp or two today. The problem is that I have travel for work M-F and my husband works too. They are getting big and we are trying to figure out the best thing for them! (Seriously I cannot believe how big they are getting and how fast). Just a tad too chilly yet though.

If your worried about fire with heat lamps check into the sweeter heater or something similar they are great heaters.

My trigger finger is too fast! I ordered 2 8" clamp lamps and 2 250watt heat bulbs from Walmart for my husband to pick up for me later today. "I have a 3 prong extension cord run out there.

The coop area is about 8'x10', a decent sized area, so I think I will hang these from the rafters above their head/jumping height and lay the heating pad down in their bedding area. I think I am going to remove the basket (I don't think they are fond of the shape or size) and put their 50gal bin in there on the side and set that up as their cave nest with heating pad/pine shavings/etc.

I put food and water in their little brooder area this morning. They kept cheeping at me after I did that and it hurts my heart! Man, these gals have me trained already. I spend a lot of time interpreting their noises and thinking about what they want. When they are noisy like that my husband calls it a prison riot :gig

Back
Top Bottom