It just doesn't stop!!!! I need a lot of info on pigs and goats!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by M To The Maxx, Jan 13, 2010.

1. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Okay so now my mom wants a pig (not for eating) and my dad and brother want a goat. A pygmy goat is what we want. We probably won't get a goat until the economy gets better and we can make a nice "house" for them. Can a goat and a pig live together? What are the needed living conditions for a goat and a pig? I need a lot of info on how to take care of a pig and a goat. What do they eat? Thanks for all the info in advance!

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have two pot belly pigs for pets and they are fantastic. They are very low maintenance. The two huge girls eat less than my dog used two. They get wormed twice a year. They eat pot belly pig food from the feed store and the vet sees them once a year for less than what it use to costs to get my dog vaccinated!

3. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Thanks for the info.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hi Maxx! I had my pigs living with my goats for awhile..and they were fine! THey may need to be raised together though...
    my pigs dont cost much money to feed at all...they eat pig pellets.
    For living conditions..they need a warm/dry house to sleep in with plenty of straw to burrow down in....
    they also need a gooood fence...both pigs AND goats are very good at escaping.
    Also..since you live in Florida..you will need a little kiddie pool for the pigs to get cool in.(they wil lay in the pool..)...they can over- heat very easy...
    and they NEED NEED NEED shade....pigs can get sunburned like you and me... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I have goats with my potbelly, they do pretty good together. I have 2 pygmy cross does that I need to sell, wink wink..... [​IMG]

6. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Does anyone mind showing me what your goat and pig setups look like?

7. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    When I was a kid we had some goats and sheep. the goats were houdini's compared to the sheep and were much tougher on the fences. They liked to climb and leap. I have no idea about pygmy goats though, ours were angora goats.

8. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Be sure and have the horns removed on the goat!!! My poor pig (for eating) got his ham impaled when Mrs. Bossypants aka Mommagoat, decided that she wanted his food. He's ok now, but boy now he screams when she looks at him!

My other goat is fine with him, though.

Shelly

9. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I will try to get some pictures of my set-up of the weekend. I used farming fence with the green metal posts for their fenced area. There is a kiddie pool for them - I am in Florida too. They have an old wood dog house for sleeping in.

We also built a stall for them. We hang heat lamps in the winter if it is going to be real cold - - below 45 degrees for me. We use hay for additional warmth. They burrow in it and stay nice and warm.

In the summer, I have palmetto bushes under pine / oak trees that they lay in to avoid the sun.

PLEASE. get two pot belly pigs not just one. My girls keep each other company all the time. They are always together. They eat together, sleep together, everything. I think that is why they are so low maintenance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by