It just occured to me. How much am i supposed to feed them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PunkinPeep, Apr 1, 2009.

1. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    My husband brought home 6, 3-week old buff orpingtons today, and just now, i saw the 25 lb bag of feed in the other room, and it occurred to me that i have no idea how often or how much to feed them.

Also, the bag just says 'FEED.' But my husband tells me it's chic starter.

Help please!

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Just make sure their feeder is full and they will self-regulate. [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Fill their feeder and let them have at it 24/7 from now till the end of their days!

As long as you have regular ol layer birds, they won't over eat. They eat a lot to grow a lot, and boy they will grow!

4. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

Is there possibly a small label attached to the bottom edge of the bag that explains what it really is?

I just leave food out for the chicks 24/7. As far as I know, they need a constant supply.

Hope this helps! [​IMG] Genie

5. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Haha! Well, thank you very much. And to confirm my complete ignorance, they don't have a feeder. My husband just spread a handful of feed around their tiny temporary pen, and that was it.

Also, there is a yellow tag attached to the bottom of the bag that says 'MG Starter-Grow Feed Medicated'

Y'all think i'm alright with this feed?

And can i just use any dish for a feeder?

6. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

For now a shallow bowl thy can't tip over will do until you get a feeder. They will quickly begin to scratch the food out of a bowl or plate.
    Some feed stores have a little three pound feeder that you can hange from a rod across the top of their pen.
    Water must also be available round the clock. Growing chick go thru lots of water.
    Looks like you are going shopping....watch out for those other little chicks at the feed store!

7. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Well, thankfully we did think it through enough that i fashioned a little hanging water dish out of a plastic bottle, and i saw them using it, so i think it worked. But i definitely want to get them something more appropriate.

Yes, you're right, i think we are going shopping.

Thanks a lot!

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

9. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    thanks! that's a very helpful article, but it inspires further questions.

the feed store said that these chicks were 3 weeks, but they already have their feathers. and because they have their feathers, we put them outside...no lamp.

do you think the feed store screwed up and they're really older?

10. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Hard to say without pics how old they might be. If they're cold, they'll be huddled together for warmth. Don't know what your weather is like down there but I'd suspect they might still need a heat source for nighttime. Theoretically, three week old chicks should have an 85 degree heated area available (drop 5 degrees per week).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by