1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It looks a murder scene in the coop!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tyler01, Apr 2, 2016.

1. tyler01

tyler01 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2016
    Ok. So I go out this morning to feed my chickens, and b/c of the rain last night I had to take the top part of the feeder off. Well, when I went to put it back on I noticed blood on it. Once I really started looking the whole thing was splattered in blood. It was still moist indicating that it probably happened this morning before I let them out of their coop. Immediately I start counting, and all are accounted for and acting normal. I start to look to see if there was evidence of an intruder. There was zero evidence. My 2 white hens have blood that's been splattered all over them. Any ideas as to what happened. They're all acting normal as of right now.

2. tyler01

Mar 31, 2016
    Also the blood is a shade of light red and very watery.

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Check their combs. Those can bleed like crazy when torn.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  4. tyler01

Mar 31, 2016
    I think you are right. The one that I think is bleeding won't be still enough for me to inspect closely but I did see a fresh drop of blood on its beak. She's the one that wil get out when I leave the pen open and I have to bait and catch her. So now she's a little too smart to catch. Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by