It made me go AWWWW.........

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Baymule, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Watching our 4 year old grand daughter for the weekend, we decided to work in the garden today. Barefooted, digging in the dirt pulling weeds, grand daughter coloring the sidewalk with chalk, dogs (Lab and Aussie) supervising...........something was missing. We went to the backyard and got a red sex link hen. I tied a hay string around her leg and the other end around a brick. She was scared of the dogs, so we put them in the house. You have to understand my chickens are not allowed to run the yard. My pyrenees would make them chicken snacks. So this hen was not at ease being out in the open. My grand daughter loves the chickens and picks them up ever so gently and hugs them, then just as gently, reassuring them all the way, she sets them down. She played with the hen, talking to her and petting her. After a bit, I moved out of her range as I sat on my bottom, scooting around working on a good case of sore muscles and back as I pulled the offending weeds. GEESH! We are in a DROUGHT! Don't weeds ever give up? Nutgrass grows like a luxurious carpet. If only my poor dead garden had fared so well.

The hen walked toward me and quite literally reached the end of her rope. She struggled, so I thought OK, chicken I will move your brick so you can hang out with me. I did just that and in a few moments, she crawled up in my lap and stuck her head under my arm. AWWWWW....... What a sweet moment in time. I just melted. The only time my chickens seem intrested in me is when I have treats and as soon as I set the treats down, all intrest in me ceases. She sat in my lap for awhile, then got down and scratched in the dirt. She came to me several more times to sit in my lap and tuck her head under my arm. That was the high point of my day!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I would not only have melted in my spot, I would never have been able to get UP or disturb a chicken doing that!
    Lovely story, thanks so much for sharing it.
    [​IMG]

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    That was definitely an "awww" moment!

4. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Most definitely an awwww moment!

5. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    That is just gorgeous! [​IMG]

6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Awww, how cute!! [​IMG]

7. Nitrostreak

Nitrostreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    How precious!

Your story reminds me of the day we released all of our chicks into their coop/run... I had sat down to watch them explore and my favorite chick, Gimpy (so named for her malformed neck) walked RIGHT up and perched on my foot. I was in heaven.

It's so good to see such affection, isn't it? Just makes it all worth it.

8. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    My little ones used to peck between my toes. Sweetest thing ever. [​IMG]

9. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    That is sweet! Wonderful story.

Whenever I am in the coop/run, my little ones like to hop up on my shoulder and nuzzle their beaks in my hair...I just love it!

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Right? Very rarely I get a hen that will do that with me-but When it does happen..time freezes as do I in whatever position I am in to keep them comfy and snuggled with me:) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by